Sick hen, please help!

BackyardBuffys

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Harford County, Maryland
Hello,

I went out this morning and noticed my one girl didn't want to come out, thought she was trying to lay since she was in the nesting box. She's acting very lethargic, won't eat or drink, and is all puffed up. I checked out her rear end, and no prolapse, but it's wet like maybe she was straining. She was fine yesterday.

Not sure what to do. I have her inside under a heat lamp. Pictures attached. Any help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210308_084857.jpg
    20210308_084857.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210308_084845.jpg
    20210308_084845.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 4
Is she inside or out in the coop? Be careful not to overheat her if you are using a red high watt heat lamp. 75-80 degrees is fine for a sick chicken, and if she is panting or holding wings out, she is too hot.
Insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg.

Does she lay eggs, and are they normal hard shells? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, puffy, or doughy? Does she have any enlargement in her lower belly between the eggs that might be fluid inside? Look her over for lice or mites in her skin under her belly. Can you get her drinking some fluids? Has she eaten or drunk anything?

She is currently inside, I will move the heat lamp up. I will take another look at the vent and check for lice/mites. She lays normal, hard shells. I checked her crop and it's is rock hard. I'm trying to get her to drink but she is not interested.

If she is inside, you can put a thermometer under the lamp to monitor temps. For a hard crop, if it is impacted, I would offer a teaspoonful of coconut oil chilled, and cut into small chunks that she could peck and swallow. You might get a small scoop or cup—I use an empty cat food or tuna can—and hold it up to her beak. Dip her beak to get her started. Any type of electrolytes can be added, or give her some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily.

Thank you! She is drinking alot now, and after reading crop article, I think its impacted. Still going to check the vent tho just to be sure. But I need to run out to grab some coconut oil, I'll follow up with an update.

Update – So, I think there may be a broken egg inside? She is drinking some and going to the bathroom, but it's a mix of liquid and a little solid. No blood or worms, just pale yellow. I did give her some coconut oil and massaged her crop a bit, and its still pretty big, but not hard like before. She did spit up though, not sure if that's a good sign!

We are going to give her some Vet Rx and bath in Epsom salt. We are also going to try to give her calcium. Not sure what else to do. Any help is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom