Sick Hen-Please Help!

Will do. Another questions though. Would mites be effecting just one hen? I have 8 other chickens, and none of them appear to be showing any of the same signs.

yea 1 hen can have them more than the others and some only come out at night, dust with prozap garden and poultry dust on her rear, under wings and on her back, give her a good vitamin and see how shes doing, dust again in 7-10 days

also i would worm your whole flock, use valbazen at a half CC per bird on a piece of bread, you only have to worm again in 14 days if its a tape worm problem which i doubt

this with vitamins and some yogurt a few days after worming will pick them right up most the time, i battle with mites every month, cant seem to get rid of the darn things
barnie.gif

Will do. Another questions though. Would mites be effecting just one hen? I have 8 other chickens, and none of them appear to be showing any of the same signs.

Some chickens can be more infested with them than others. I don't know why ( I am not an expert) but it has happened with my girls, one hen was covered with them and the rest were almost bug free.

Thank you all for the info. I do apologize for my impatience. Just worried about my girl. Can I get all of this stuff (dust, vitamins, valbazen, etc.) at a small local feed store, or do I need to go to a bigger store like Bomgaars?

My suggestion?

I use Ivermectin pour on wormer for cattle. I put it in a small spray bottle like what you can get at Walmart in the cosmetics or lotion area where they have travel size containers that are empty and you can buy them and put in whatever you like.

I know its intention is for worms but it works great on mites and lice. It also kills the eggs so you don't have to worry about reinfestation unless some wild bird flies over and one falls off and lands on your bird! It's been known to happen. My husband calls them paramites!
lol.png

Anyway, with wormer that they drink, its a contest of whether the worms will win or the chicken. Or ... who will die first? You should never treat a compromised (ill or weakened in some way) bird with wormer... read the instructions. The Ivermectin is absorbed through the skin and kills the intestinal worms as well as the lice and mites on the surface. Be careful how much you get on their skin though, remember, its for cattle. BIG animals.

I agree with the yogurt suggestion. I give yogurt to mine as a preventive for most things as well as a treatment for most things. It's health building and therefore extremely good for them. Plain and unsweetened.

Thank you all for the info. I do apologize for my impatience. Just worried about my girl. Can I get all of this stuff (dust, vitamins, valbazen, etc.) at a small local feed store, or do I need to go to a bigger store like Bomgaars?

Oh its ok, i am very impatient when it comes to my girls being sick, so I understand completely :)

Back
Top Bottom