Sick hen question

Scolvin02

Hatching
Aug 3, 2018
hello, I have read many posts about sick hens but haven’t seen this question....

I have a 5 month old that has a “cold”. She sneezes and has a slight runny nose. By the time I noticed she was sick I figured everyone has been exposed so I didn’t separate her. I have been monitoring her and she is no worse but no better. I have given her two doses of vetRx but didn’t really see any improvement. My question....I was thinking of bringing her into my basement to give her rest and warmth as it is 28 degrees here in NH. If and when she does get better how will she handle going back into the cold without a heater in the coop. Also should how often should I be giving her the VetRx. The directions don’t really say.
Any info would be great as this is my first flock and I would hate to lose her because of something I could take care of.

Thanks
Stephanie

5 month old that has a “cold”. She sneezes and has a slight runny nose. By the time I noticed she was sick I figured everyone has been exposed so I didn’t separate her.
I was thinking of bringing her into my basement to give her rest and warmth as it is 28 degrees here in NH. If and when she does get better how will she handle going back into the cold without a heater in the coop. Also should how often should I be giving her the VetRx. The directions don’t really say.
Hi @Scolvin02 Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry to hear about your pullet.

If you have photos of your girl that you would like to share that would be great.

Sneezing with a runny nose sounds like a respiratory illness and you are correct that the others are exposed if that is what's going on. Do keep in mind, that if this is a respiratory illness, then the rest of the flock are considered carriers as well, even if no one else gets sick.

If she is eating/drinking fairly well, not lethargic or being picked on, then personally, I would leave her with the others. If you feel you need to, try separating her within the coop so you can administer specialized care.
With winter coming hard and fast, if she is brought in where there is heat, you are going to have a hard time re-acclimating her to cold temperatures, not to mention re-integrating her with the flock. If she is in a state of decline, then bring her in, we will help you figure out how to get her back outside once she's well.

If she worsens, then you can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylan50. Dosage is .20ml per pound of weight, given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. If you can only give it 2 times a day, then increase your dosage to .30ml per pound of weight.

As for VetRx the instructions are vague. 1-2 times a day is probably o.k. if she's tolerating it well. Are her symptoms worse at night? If only doing once a day, then before roosting would be when I would use the VetRx.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/vetrx-poultry-remedy.html

I understand your concerns, when it's cold we do worry about them. Chickens do very well in cold temperatures if they have a way to get out of wind/rain, etc. Don't close up your ventilation! Even in cold weather the coop needs fresh air and a way to pull out fumes from their poop and the moisture from their breath.

Back
Top Bottom