Sick hen round 2

In case anyone is interested, she ended up making it! Crop empties in the morning and fills after her meals. Not lethargic, but I would have to give her a second dose of a wormer because I decided to deworm her. Would it be okay to deworm her 2 times? As in one session (1 dose and another dose in 7 days) and another one in another week? Because we need to deworm our entire flock anyways and I don’t want any hens to get more worms. Or would it be okay just to dose her one time more and then not dose her when everyone else is being wormed? @dawg53

What did you use for worming? Normally if using Valbazen, repeat the wormer in 10 days. That gets the newly hatched eggs. With SafeGuard either worm for 5 straight days for most worms, and worm once and again in 10 days to get just roundworms.
5 days straight?! I used safeguard goat wormer, just with the chicken dosage

What did you use for worming? Normally if using Valbazen, repeat the wormer in 10 days. That gets the newly hatched eggs. With SafeGuard either worm for 5 straight days for most worms, and worm once and again in 10 days to get just roundworms.
x2
@cherrynberry Now you know why I prefer Valbazen. :)

So I have to give her a dose everyday for five days??? Well if I hadn’t yet, for a few days now, would the worms grow immunity to it? Definitely would be getting the better wormer next time 😞. Should I just continue dosing her today?
No, worms wont be immune to the wormer. Dosing with Safeguard for 5 days eliminates all types of roundworms to include capillary worms which are very harmful.

No, worms wont be immune to the wormer. Dosing with Safeguard for 5 days eliminates all types of roundworms to include capillary worms which are very harmful.
So if I continue dosing her, 4 more times, for the next 4 days, that would do? I’m planning on dosing the entire flock soon. Would I need to worm them everyday for 5 days? Or is it fine just to worm 2 times a week?

So if I continue dosing her, 4 more times, for the next 4 days, that would do? I’m planning on dosing the entire flock soon. Would I need to worm them everyday for 5 days? Or is it fine just to worm 2 times a week?
Yes to your first question.
Second question: It's your choice whether you want worm your birds 5 days in a row or worm them once, then again in 10 days, which will treat for large roundworms only.

Yes to your first question.
Second question: It's your choice whether you want worm your birds 5 days in a row or worm them once, then again in 10 days, which will treat for large roundworms only.
So technically just 2 doses of safeguard should get rid of most worms? Just not roundworms? Sorry for all the questions…

So technically just 2 doses of safeguard should get rid of most worms? Just not roundworms? Sorry for all the questions…
Glad she's doing better.

No. Let's clarify the Safeguard for you.

For Roundworms only : dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight once then repeat in 10 days.

For other types of worms, including Roundworms, but excluding Tapeworms:
dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight once a day for 5 days in a row.

Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom