Sick Hen---ThreeHorses please read

dinologano

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Salem, Oregon
My 7 Mo. old Favorelle has been sick for over a week. Very lethargic. Weighs no more than 2 lbs. Just hangs her head with eyes closed,but opens them sometimes when Icome in. I have her inside with temp. about 65F. She is not eating or drinking so I have been force feeding with syringe. Water with Vit-al(comb. vitamins and minerals with electrolyte) then feeding her comb. of high protein(dog and cat tube) mixed with yogurt. Giving about 15 ccs of each. A couple days ago she had what look like a discharge of white foamy mucous from her mouth, but haven't seen that since and today she had some off white discharge from one of her eyes. Does not seem to be any better, but still holding on. Her poop is green, but no sign of blood. So I figured electrolyte and vitamin water as stated above. Not sure whether i should try Sulmet.
Would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Deane

Poor hen - so very very sick. Over a week is a long time.....
Deane, if this isn't sorted out by morning with a fairly certain diagnosis and treatment plan, try to get her emergently to a vet if you can.
I hope very much that she'll get through this.
JJ

Check inside her mouth for any lesions - any white or yellowish raised sores in her mouth? Any bad smell coming from her mouth? Is her crop passing the food you give her or is it staying in there and not emptying properly? Is her face swollen at all? Coughing or sneezing? Do you have access to antibiotics? I'd start her on an injectable antibiotic like tylan or baytril, as it is likely she has an infection (just what kind of infection remains to be seen).

Let us know if you find anything in her mouth that looks or smells unusual.

Laura

agree with Laura...important that you check the crop to see if it's emptying..and the mouth and throat as posted...

it would be better to try and get some parrot or baby bird feed from pet or bird supply store.
or just mix some cooked egg yolk with plain yogurt and baby oatmeal.

an wheezing? any other symptoms?

describe her droppings..color and consistency.

Last night it looked like Sammy had been drinking some water on her own and also at a few pellets. Last night i made some more scrambled egg, but she has never touched it. When I walk in she gives me hell when I get near her. I think she's tired of being force fed. I hope this is a good sign. I put some more pellets down and waiting to see if she takes any.
Well keep ya'll informed.

Deane

Quote:
I completely agree.

First and foremost, you need to make sure she's eating and drinking. It could be a good sign that she's getting irritated with the forced feedings, but I would keep them up unless you are sure she's eating.

Baby bird handfeeding formula is a GREAT thing to have in your cupboard for when they are ill; it's loaded with vits/mins that are good for all avian in their time of need such as this. What I do is find something they will eat - usually, tomatoes chopped in small bits is a big treat that they enjoy - and I sprinkle the baby bird formula on top.

Her poop is likely green due to not eating enough; it will turn a dark green if so. However, if it's a "neon" green or slightly blueish in color, it's likely she got into some moldy feed...is this a possibility?

Back
Top Bottom