Sick Hen ~ Virus???

HuttonFlock

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2020
A few days ago, I noticed one of my hens (1 of 15) being attacked by another and on her side. I immediately took her out of the (large, plenty of room) coop, and have had her alone in her own cage for the last few days. I daily let her out and notice that she is eating, drinking, etc. but then she will basically sit down and then fall over, stretching her neck and then when falling over, her legs are out, like she's dizzy, takes her a few minutes and then gets up again and acts like nothing is wrong. She was a mess before separating her, with obvious marks on her crown, which now are black, first thinking mites, but now thinking they are peck marks!! She looks so much better, but still see her stopping from walking, looking wobbly, and then will sit. Could this be Mareks or Worms, What? Been giving her water with apple cider vinegar and some Wazine for the last three days. She's close to two years old :( .

Hi and welcome to BYC. I’ve suggested that your thread be moved to the ER forum. Good luck.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I moved your thread over to our Emergency section, hopefully someone can help you here. :hugs

Does Anyone have anything similar. Today she seemed to have 2 episodes (in an hour) of walking then wobbling down to a sitting position, stays there for a few minutes, gets up and then seems fine. Looks like she is in a daze!!!

It sounds neurological whatever it is. Some of the symptoms sound a bit like Mareks, but that doesn’t come and go. It is possible that she is having seizures, but I am not a vet. I would start some vitamin E daily, about 400 IU which you can find at most bitamin counters. Did she suffer any head injury?

It sounds neurological whatever it is. Some of the symptoms sound a bit like Mareks, but that doesn’t come and go. It is possible that she is having seizures, but I am not a vet. I would start some vitamin E daily, about 400 IU which you can find at most bitamin counters. Did she suffer any head injury?
I was wondering about that in the being beginning Mareks, but maybe I can cross that off my list!!! She looks great, except her crown (and some feathers missing) from being attacked from the other girls, maybe that's some head injury??? Eating good and still drinking. Thanks for the response, always nice to hear some suggestions. I will try your suggestion today, as everyday seems like a blessing! Do you think it could be some kind of worm??

It doesn’t hurt to worm a chicken with Valbazen or with Safeguard, to rule that out, although I doubt that worms have caused her symptoms. Since any type of abnormal behavior can attract unwanted pecking or attacks, she might be safer in a wire dog crate with food and water, and hanging out with the flock in a safe spot.

Back
Top Bottom