Sick hen? Weird head position, definitely seems off

Cedargrove

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022

Definitely something wrong but I don’t know what! I’ve been at work today but my mom and kids report she was like this this morning.
The flock was give valbazem 5 days ago
I’m giving them Corid water because I just didn’t want to miss anything
Last weeks sick hen is better but she definitely had round worms-I haven’t seen any other wormy poop in the coop
This one apparently had looser poop today and hasn’t eaten much or drank-though she hasn’t been watched constantly
I don’t feel or see anything on her
I don’t have experience with checking crops but nothing seems obvious when I feel where I think I should. She walks around some and just ate a little but she doesn’t seem to want to extend her neck??? She keeps it tucked like in these pictures.
She is approx 18 weeks old-I got her and 4 flock mates about 4 weeks ago. No eggs yet.
Please help!!
020EB5C3-D2E9-405D-94DC-21F761DC2207.jpeg

Attachments

• EE820C14-F7BA-4136-A376-C3E0AEA0D44A.jpeg
    EE820C14-F7BA-4136-A376-C3E0AEA0D44A.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 1
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
Check your flock over for lice or mites.
You say her neck is scrunched in? I'm wondering if its wry neck. Do some research on it.

Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
Check your flock over for lice or mites.
You say her neck is scrunched in? I'm wondering if its wry neck. Do some research on it.
Thank you!
I will try to check her crop jn the morning-maybe I can find a how to on YouTube.
I see no evidence of “bugs” on her.
Can you see the picture? It’s like she doesn’t extend her neck fully??

Thank you!
I will try to check her crop jn the morning-maybe I can find a how to on YouTube.
I see no evidence of “bugs” on her.
Can you see the picture? It’s like she doesn’t extend her neck fully??
To look for mites focus around the vent area, that's where most of the mites should be, including their eggs. I think the lice should be around the vent too.
I do see the pictures. You might want to treat for wry neck. She's needs vitamin E and selenium. Give her 400IU vitamin E once a day and scrambled eggs.
Here's where a chickens crop is.->

1660603581460.png

Nothing around thence the vent-same as the chicken that was sick last week.

Human vitamin e-400 all at once? Mixed with the eggs? Anything else I should do?
To look for mites focus around the vent area, that's where most of the mites should be, including their eggs. I think the lice should be around the vent too.
I do see the pictures. You might want to treat for wry neck. She's needs vitamin E and selenium. Give her 400IU vitamin E once a day and scrambled eggs.
Here's where a chickens crop is.-

Sometimes a heavy worm load, when treated with a worming med, will kill so many worms at once, it can set up a shock reaction in the chicken. It can also cause a blockage. You can give her a little sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda for the shock and a fourth of a cup of water with a teaspoon of molasses mixed in for the blockage. Give both side by side as her only water to drink for a day.

Sometimes a heavy worm load, when treated with a worming med, will kill so many worms at once, it can set up a shock reaction in the chicken. It can also cause a blockage. You can give her a little sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda for the shock and a fourth of a cup of water with a teaspoon of molasses mixed in for the blockage. Give both side by side as her only water to drink for a day.
Ok-I will do this tomorrow. Thank you!!
So even if I don’t see worms in poop should i assume she had them?

Ok-I will do this tomorrow. Thank you!!
So even if I don’t see worms in poop should i assume she had them?
Posting just to try to get more help here-
This hen is barely eating-got her to eat a little yogurt, some eggs that had some crushed bcomplex sprinkled on. I’ve seen her drink very little today and eat very
Little. I forced some bcomplex in water with syringe but it was a fight. Her poop is the same but a small amount-I’m assuming due to lack of intake
Is it appropriate to wait the full 10’days for the second valbazen dose? She is acting like the sick roundworm chicken from last week but much worse. Her comb is practically white now. Help!

Do you know how to tube feed? If she has an intestinal obstruction of dead worms, she could use a flush. If she isn't drinking on her own, you would need to tube the fluids into her crop.

Back
Top Bottom