Sick hen with possible vent gleet

Hi Evangitron
:welcome
Can you post photrosemary and oregano oil her feet? Undersides and from top would be really helpful!
Giving electrolyte water and the stuff from feed store for sour crop. It has cinnamon rosemary oregano. Massaging crop gently. We do have some older antibiotics., but not sure if an infection. Gave her alittle olive oil, also coconut oil. Thank you for trying to help. Will any food float on top of oil so not get thru crop? Only thing she wants is cucumber...mainly the seeds

Giving electrolyte water and the stuff from feed store for sour crop. It has cinnamon rosemary oregano. Massaging crop gently. We do have some older antibiotics., but not sure if an infection. Gave her alittle olive oil, also coconut oil. Thank you for trying to help. Will any food float on top of oil so not get thru crop? Only thing she wants is cucumber...mainly the seeds
I'm so sorry - predictive text!!! What I had intended to say was can you post photos of her feet, both underside and the top of the feet.
Regarding your question ref oil and food, I believe the reason for administrating oil is for when you massage the crop the oil helps to break up anything which may be blocking food leaving the crop - so if you are administering oil made sure you are also massaging.

Thank you, we are massaging. She did eat a bit of cucumber, especially the seeds. She is just weak. She enjoys the epsom salt baths we have been giving her daily. Digestion is surely stopped up...due to sour crop or vent gleet or maybe infection, tumors? She was in good shape till recently, won best standardbred at fair. At her age, perhaps organs are failing? She hasn't laid an egg in a yearbut she is old. Could impaction be past the crop?

abadomen the sides are very soft and fluid like and to me if use to feel hard. Her crop is the same feeling and barely seems to empty and doesn’t seem emptied in the morning. She hasn’t laid in almost a year
she’s barely eating so now it’s just the white stuff. My mom is worried she’s starving to death.
I should also add I don’t know if it’s related but she’s had these swollen feet that remind me of bumblefoot for a long time and I’ve had to remove plugs before but I don’t see any this time but the pads are swollen and pink and I’m unsure if it’s related
Her comb was normal red but today it has gotten darker. Crop still full of liquid, little appetite, weak, think she is starving to death due to no room and nothing much getting thru. Just slight whitediarhea.
Digestion is surely stopped up...due to sour crop or vent gleet or maybe infection, tumors?
Could impaction be past the crop?
I'm sorry that Hubble is not feeling well:hugs
Thank you for the photos and further information.

With your description and photos. It does not look like she has vent gleet, there would be a foul smelling/yeasty crusty discharge on the vent and tissue underneath. Her vent looks clean.

I do think that she may have a reproductive disorder that is causing the crop to slow. Bodily functions work together just like in any other animal or human. One thing can cause symptoms some where else.
With reproductive problems, this can cause swelling inside of her that slows the digestive system and puts stress on the internal organs too. Her comb is darkening, that to me indicates organ function may be failing.

I'm very sorry. You can try antibiotic treatment to see if that helps with inflammation, but usually the results are short term. I would worry like your Mother is, that she is starving/wasting away. I would work on the crop a little more to see if I could get that moving. Coconut oil a couple of times a day with massage can help. If you think she may have an impaction, you can try 1 stool softener (stimulant free) to try to break up anything that's there. Sometimes it works, but if the crop problems are caused by inflammation elsewhere in the body, then it may not.

Keep her hydrated the best you can. If she is enjoying the cucumber then all is well, it will provide her a little liquids. You may want to offer her some watermelon, that's also a way to get fluids in if they are not drinking well.

Sometimes despite our best efforts our sweet hens continue to decline and they are suffering. If she does not improve and you think she is in pain, it would be a kindness to let her go.

If you happen to lose her, sending the body for necropsy will give you more insight as to what the problem is. Alternatively if you can do your own informal investigation, look inside at the organs, reproductive system, gizzard and crop a lot of times you will be able to see what happened yourself. We can help you with what you see if you post photos.

Just my 2¢

Thank you, we are massaging. She did eat a bit of cucumber, especially the seeds. She is just weak. She enjoys the epsom salt baths we have been giving her daily. Digestion is surely stopped up...due to sour crop or vent gleet or maybe infection, tumors? She was in good shape till recently, won best standardbred at fair. At her age, perhaps organs are failing? She hasn't laid an egg in a yearbut she is old. Could impaction be past the crop?
Update, still hanging in there. Our cubalaya hen has a vet appt friday. She did pass one solid poop which is blackish brownish..maybe a bit of green. She did perk up for a bit and eat cucumber. Still massaging, epsom salt bath once a day, feeding electrolytes and organic powder
for sour crop from feed store. She is weaker but hanging in there. She does a little head twist..very slight, after we try to get fluid down her throat.
I'm sorry that Hubble is not feeling well:hugs
Thank you for the photos and further information.

With your description and photos. It does not look like she has vent gleet, there would be a foul smelling/yeasty crusty discharge on the vent and tissue underneath. Her vent looks clean.

I do think that she may have a reproductive disorder that is causing the crop to slow. Bodily functions work together just like in any other animal or human. One thing can cause symptoms some where else.
With reproductive problems, this can cause swelling inside of her that slows the digestive system and puts stress on the internal organs too. Her comb is darkening, that to me indicates organ function may be failing.

I'm very sorry. You can try antibiotic treatment to see if that helps with inflammation, but usually the results are short term. I would worry like your Mother is, that she is starving/wasting away. I would work on the crop a little more to see if I could get that moving. Coconut oil a couple of times a day with massage can help. If you think she may have an impaction, you can try 1 stool softener (stimulant free) to try to break up anything that's there. Sometimes it works, but if the crop problems are caused by inflammation elsewhere in the body, then it may not.

Keep her hydrated the best you can. If she is enjoying the cucumber then all is well, it will provide her a little liquids. You may want to offer her some watermelon, that's also a way to get fluids in if they are not drinking well.

Sometimes despite our best efforts our sweet hens continue to decline and they are suffering. If she does not improve and you think she is in pain, it would be a kindness to let her go.

If you happen to lose her, sending the body for necropsy will give you more insight as to what the problem is. Alternatively if you can do your own informal investigation, look inside at the organs, reproductive system, gizzard and crop a lot of times you will be able to see what happened yourself. We can help you with what you see if you post photos.

Just my 2¢
Will a little molasses in warm water help her?

Molasses acts as a laxative. If the crop is sour, then the sugar content may feed the yeast that's in there.
See if she will eat a little scrambled egg or wet feed. But try to keep fluids going they dehydrated quickly.

I'm glad that you have an appointment. Please let us know how the visit goes.

Here’s her feet they’re very red today on bottom and the pic doesn’t show it as much but they’re sunburn red. She’s being taken to the vet tmw but last night she actually had a little brown poop (looked almost like a rat poop size ) so maybe that’s good

Attachments

• D7962456-2627-4E0F-9140-A135FB10C2F2.jpeg
    D7962456-2627-4E0F-9140-A135FB10C2F2.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 8
  • EF5DB9A7-55C4-4FDF-8249-FA295B061378.jpeg
    EF5DB9A7-55C4-4FDF-8249-FA295B061378.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 23A115A5-001E-4FA0-877D-22C00B9ADA35.jpeg
    23A115A5-001E-4FA0-877D-22C00B9ADA35.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 8
Here’s her feet they’re very red today on bottom and the pic doesn’t show it as much but they’re sunburn red. She’s being taken to the vet tmw but last night she actually had a little brown poop (looked almost like a rat poop size ) so maybe that’s good
Thank you for posting the photos. Where are you located? Is it very cold this time of year? a change in temperature (from warm to cold) can cause the feet to loose heat to the rest of the body although the feet shouldn't swell were this the problem. Also if she was reluctant to roost perhaps she was standing around a lot. If on a frozen ground that could be the issue.
I believe this can also happen if the chicken is on very wet ground or stepping in their own faeces a lot. The ammonia can burn the chickens legs and feet. Does this sound like a possibility? (Check for wet bedding, a wet run or poor ventilation).

She is inside, lying down most of day. Clean towels under her. Thanks
It is great you are able to get her to a vet. I hope the vet can shed some light on what is afflicting your poor girl. I believe sometimes a red discoloration in the legs and feet can also happen with organ failure, I think kidneys. Best of luck at the vets. You have certainly tried everything you can to try save Hubble. :fl

Back
Top Bottom