Sick hen with weird egg! Please help!

Beauty99

Songster
May 4, 2018
hi, I have a year old hen she was fine the whole year never seen her sick, today i’ve noticed she ate a little bit of food but she drinks lots of water she never acted like that but she closes her eyes and stands infront of the water bucket and she just drinks alot and alot of water i know it’s hot but i have 4 turkeys and another chicken they don’t drink tht much of water and also i went to the place they lay egg in it and i’ve seen a very weird egg i thought it belongs to her cause the other hen looks fine and eating well the egg was without a shell pic is below i’ve heard it’s because she doesn’t eat enough calcium but i don’t think so cause she eats the same food everyday and for the whole year i gave her (rice cucumber tomato corn lots of other things...) and also i looked at her poop it looks fine but still took a pic so the pics are all below please help me she is my fav she is a pet and i don’t wanna lose her i would’ve take her to the vet but i feel like it’s useless cause one of my turkeys died with a disease they didn’t know what was it even the treatment was not useful please give me advice why she is not eating?? Closing her eyes? Drinking lots of water?? Is she gonna die?

Attachments

• 86AF73CA-70E6-49A6-8211-78042A8FC325.png
    86AF73CA-70E6-49A6-8211-78042A8FC325.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • FEE401BD-CCAC-4D20-B30D-4AAD9C60A0CE.jpeg
    FEE401BD-CCAC-4D20-B30D-4AAD9C60A0CE.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 403A89D8-9ED2-44AA-9453-5747678F6058.jpeg
    403A89D8-9ED2-44AA-9453-5747678F6058.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 21
hi, I have a year old hen she was fine the whole year never seen her sick, today i’ve noticed she ate a little bit of food but she drinks lots of water she never acted like that but she closes her eyes and stands infront of the water bucket and she just drinks alot and alot of water i know it’s hot but i have 4 turkeys and another chicken they don’t drink tht much of water and also i went to the place they lay egg in it and i’ve seen a very weird egg i thought it belongs to her cause the other hen looks fine and eating well the egg was without a shell pic is below i’ve heard it’s because she doesn’t eat enough calcium but i don’t think so cause she eats the same food everyday and for the whole year i gave her (rice cucumber tomato corn lots of other things...) and also i looked at her poop it looks fine but still took a pic so the pics are all below please help me she is my fav she is a pet and i don’t wanna lose her i would’ve take her to the vet but i feel like it’s useless cause one of my turkeys died with a disease they didn’t know what was it even the treatment was not useful please give me advice why she is not eating?? Closing her eyes? Drinking lots of water?? Is she gonna die?
Aww... she's so cute, I hope someone can help you!

Greetings Beauty99,

Shell-less eggs can be caused by different things, from environmental stress, diet, or illness. Nutrition is at the top of the list. It's OK to feed some healthy items, as you have mentioned. But, 90% of the hen's diet should consist of a feed that is formulated for layers. Layer feed has all the nutrients balanced for the hen. Some experienced keepers do prepare their own feeds. But, they know enough about poultry nutrition to do this. And you should always supply some extra calcium for the hens, free choice. Oyster shell is the most common calcium supplement.

The chicken's poop does not look right. It is loose and sticky looking, with only a bit of digested food. A chicken's poop should be firm, occasionally soft , but with bulk, and topped with a white chalky urate. At one year old her poops should be more substantial.There are many chicken poop charts online to look at and compare.

I also noticed feathers missing from the hen's back, do you have a rooster? If so, that would be important information.

When a chicken starts to drink lots of water, it is usually because the kidneys are stressed. This can result from diet, or illness. You should start by making sure the hen is eating properly. This evening, you can administer a half of a Tums tablet, broken into small pieces, to supply her with some quick calcium. Same thing tomorrow, but, I would buy some oyster shell or at least, offer crushed egg shell to the hens.

Put some electrolytes in her water for 2 days. This will also help, if it is hot where you live. A dose of poultry vitamins, and some probiotics for poultry is also beneficial.

You are right to be concerned, if the hen is closing her eyes and sleepy. She may have an infection too. It is common for a chicken to get sick with a couple of things once they are weakened. She could go down hill quickly, so keep her well fed and hydrated.

She may need an antibiotic. If you could find an avian or exotic animal veterinarian, that would be best for the chicken.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's issue. I hope they are helpful.

God Bless :)

Greetings Beauty99,

Shell-less eggs can be caused by different things, from environmental stress, diet, or illness. Nutrition is at the top of the list. It's OK to feed some healthy items, as you have mentioned. But, 90% of the hen's diet should consist of a feed that is formulated for layers. Layer feed has all the nutrients balanced for the hen. Some experienced keepers do prepare their own feeds. But, they know enough about poultry nutrition to do this. And you should always supply some extra calcium for the hens, free choice. Oyster shell is the most common calcium supplement.

The chicken's poop does not look right. It is loose and sticky looking, with only a bit of digested food. A chicken's poop should be firm, occasionally soft , but with bulk, and topped with a white chalky urate. At one year old her poops should be more substantial.There are many chicken poop charts online to look at and compare.

I also noticed feathers missing from the hen's back, do you have a rooster? If so, that would be important information.

When a chicken starts to drink lots of water, it is usually because the kidneys are stressed. This can result from diet, or illness. You should start by making sure the hen is eating properly. This evening, you can administer a half of a Tums tablet, broken into small pieces, to supply her with some quick calcium. Same thing tomorrow, but, I would buy some oyster shell or at least, offer crushed egg shell to the hens.

Put some electrolytes in her water for 2 days. This will also help, if it is hot where you live. A dose of poultry vitamins, and some probiotics for poultry is also beneficial.

You are right to be concerned, if the hen is closing her eyes and sleepy. She may have an infection too. It is common for a chicken to get sick with a couple of things once they are weakened. She could go down hill quickly, so keep her well fed and hydrated.

She may need an antibiotic. If you could find an avian or exotic animal veterinarian, that would be best for the chicken.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's issue. I hope they are helpful.

Thank you so much , yes i had a rooster but after i saw he was bothering my hens i took him away now they are all free , and also do you think she might have swelling in her upper throat? I don’t know how it tells? If she doesn’t eat she will get weak and i have to make her eat

If you think there is something wrong with the chicken's throat, examine the chicken's neck by gently feeling for lumps or swellings. Open the beak and look for any sores or growths, they will be noticeable, raised shapes. Then, let us know, if you see or feel anything.

Also feel the crop this morning. It should be empty. If it is hard or feels soft and doughy, smell her mouth. Is it foul or sour smelling? If you find a problem with the crop, you should not feed her yet. You'll need to treat the crop problem first.

If you think there is something wrong with the chicken's throat, examine the chicken's neck by gently feeling for lumps or swellings. Open the beak and look for any sores or growths, they will be noticeable, raised shapes. Then, let us know, if you see or feel anything.

Also feel the crop this morning. It should be empty. If it is hard or feels soft and doughy, smell her mouth. Is it foul or sour smelling? If you find a problem with the crop, you should not feed her yet. You'll need to treat the crop problem first.
I have to wait till tomorrow when you say in the morning you mean when she is not eating? Well today in the evening i felt her crop it was soft like there were ony water in her crop but if it was a problem with a crop what i should do? Should i give her garlic and put apple cider vinegar into the water?

Beauty99,

I'm sorry, I assumed you were located somewhere in the North America. If you put your general location in your profile, members will be aware of the time difference.

A chicken's crop should have some food in it by evening, then, during the night the food gets digested, and pooped out by morning. So, the crop should be firm in the evening, and flat/empty, by morning.

It's good that you checked her crop in the evening. It should have had some food in it, not just water. If it felt squishy, she may have sour crop. This means that the contents of her crop sat too long. But, the crop could be empty, simply because she isn't eating. This is why you should isolate her, then you'll know if she is eating and how much.

If she ate, and the contents then started to ferment, this may be why she is sick. Be aware, that this usually happens, when the crop is first over stuffed with food (crop impaction), then it sits too long and ferments (sour crop).

But, sour crop can also happen when a chicken has an infection or other illness. The digestive system slows down when they are sick, and even a bit of food in the crop ferments, after sitting too long. Gases from the yeasts that are growing, cause the hen to feel sick. She may even make gaseous sounds when you squeeze the crop. She may also throw up some food or water. Sometimes there is a bad sour smell in the mouth too.

Medicines can be administered to help her clear the contents and kill the yeast.
  • Nystatin is my choice to kill yeast. And I use Lactulose to help break up food and move it through the digestive system. Nystatin must be prescribed by a vet, here in California. A prescription may be needed for Nystatin where you live, too.

• Some keepers have had success with over the counter anti fungal medications like Monistat (Miconazole Nitrate), to kill any yeast. This is the same medication found in the ladies feminine section of the pharmacy. Not sure how much they give, but you can research it online.

• Copper Sulfate is another remedy used by keepers. It is sold at farm/feed stores, I have never used it myself. It cannot be used in metal containers, and dosage must be accurate, as it can be toxic to chickens, if not used properly.

• There are also natural remedies that may help. As you mentioned, apple Cider Vinegar and garlic in the water is one of them. I use the following, if I catch the crop problem early enough.
Crop Tonic:
1 tsp. thick yogurt with at least 3 bacteria cultures in it.
1 drop, Oregano Oil
4 drops Coconut Oil, melted or Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
4 drops water

Mix in a shot glass, stir well, and administer 1 mL, orally with syringe, 3 times day one. If there is no improvement, then move on to something else.

After you give the medicine, massage the crop to get the contents to go down. Do not feed her till the contents have cleared the crop, and she poops. It may take a day, then tiny soft meals, and small amounts of wet mash, with fresh water available. Electrolytes in the water, and a dose of vitamins is also helpful. A course of Probiotics is also good.

So, this is how I treat sour crop, a crop impaction is a bit different.

However, as I said before...looking at the pictures of your hen's poop, tells me she may have an infection of some kind. But, I could be wrong.

If you could take her to see a vet, that really would be best. A vet has access to more potent medications, and the training to give a reasonable diagnosis.

I don't know why your turkey died, it may not have been the fault of the vet. Timing is everything, when a bird is sick. If you wait too long, the best medicines in the world, may not be enough. If you don't give proper supportive care to a sick bird, it can die from enduring harsh weather while sick or not getting enough nourishment while ill. Even very experienced chicken keepers find it hard to heal every chicken that gets sick. When a keeper decides to heal their chicken, on their own, it's because they are confident in their knowledge and experience. And sometimes the chicken will still die. Death of our precious birds is very painful and sad, but, it's something that goes along with being a chicken keeper.

I'm sure you will do the best for your sweet little hen. I sincerely hope and pray for her recovery.

Hi thanks for all those advices i will give it a try but this morning i checked her crop it was soft and i felt like it was kinda doughy and i smelt her mouth it was okey and i checked her throat i didn’t see any swellings , well i don’t think she is sick if she was sick she wouldn’t walk around and search for food and play with the dust you know, but because i spent lots of times with them i can see that the most times she’s drinking water sometimes i see her sit infornt of the water?, she is active when i call her she lifts her head like she is awake, but she is’nt eating enough like she slow down eating and also she sits alot in the places that are not hot i mean she looks for a warm place cause the temperature here is 40C and she lives outside i will try with the home remedies first and if i didn’t see any changes i have to take her to the vet thanks for all your helpings i really appreciate it and also i have a medicine i used for my sick turkey the pic is below can i use it for my hen? Right now in here the time is 12:02 pm i live in asia

Attachments

• B91DAD59-D135-4549-A5AE-729D4A5B7CA2.jpeg
    B91DAD59-D135-4549-A5AE-729D4A5B7CA2.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 58D50811-29C1-46FD-9799-2D6DFDB844A8.jpeg
    58D50811-29C1-46FD-9799-2D6DFDB844A8.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 38EE94DB-6887-4D92-91B3-C5331EA8A1A5.jpeg
    38EE94DB-6887-4D92-91B3-C5331EA8A1A5.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 14
Hello Beauty99,

Because it is so hot where you live, you should use the apple cider vinegar for only 2 days a week. Now that I know how hot it is where you live, I can tell you, your chicken may be suffering from heat stress. 40 degrees Celsius is 104 degrees Fahrenheit, which is super hot for a chicken! They will get sleepy, expel shell-less eggs, eat very little, and drink lots of water. They can have wet looking poop, even watery diarrhea.

A chicken is happiest in 21-24 degrees Celsius, at 29 degrees Celcius the chicken begins to get hot. Some chickens have a hard time in hot weather, especially their first year. I had two hens expel shell-less eggs last year, for several days, and I even had to bathe them in cool water, as, they started to suffer from heat exhaustion. A chicken can die from extreme temperatures.

Here are some hot weather tips for your chickens.

The chicken will need to have shade, cool fresh water, a box fan to blow air is helpful, a misting system for temps over 37.7 Celsius will reduce the temperature in the area, too. If you place the box fan in front of the water bowls, the wind chill will make the water cold. This is much appreciated by the chickens. Large beach umbrellas or woven shade tarps can be used to add more shade in certain areas.

About your Medications.

The T-T-S fort, looks like a good medication for chickens. If they have a respiratory condition or intestinal, you can use that medication. The pills are also good, for certain bacterial infections, also. Talk to your vet about proper dosages for your chickens.

It is important to restore the chicken's intestinal flora, by giving them probiotics when they finish a course of antibiotics. This is the good bacteria that helps a chicken fight infection, and aides in digestion.

At this point, you have ruled out a crop problem, and throat issues too. She may just be having a hard time with the heat. Try to make things cooler for the chickens if you can. See if that helps, before giving medicine. A dose of vitamins is OK. But, electrolytes may needed for three days, to help the chicken feel better.

Here is a home made formula for electrolyte solution. I hope I have done the conversion from US cooking measurement to metric properly. :confused:

Electrolytes Solution

1 cup water or .2 liter water

2 tsp. Sugar or 8 grams of sugar

1/8 tsp. Salt or .5 gram salt

1/8 tsp. Baking Soda or .5 gram Sodium Bicarbonate

Combine and store in the refrigerator or, dilute into one gallon of water. Make fresh each day for the chickens to drink.

Or, you may administer 1 mL, with an oral syringe for illness or shock.

Electrolytes should be used only if birds appear stressed, usually at 102° F (38.8 C), and above. Or, if the chicken has symptoms of heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion happens before a full heat stroke (lethal).

You are doing such a great job. I can tell how much you care about you chickens.

I hope I have been helpful, in today's post.

God Bless and good health to you and your chicken. :)

Hello Beauty99,

Because it is so hot where you live, you should use the apple cider vinegar for only 2 days a week. Now that I know how hot it is where you live, I can tell you, your chicken may be suffering from heat stress. 40 degrees Celsius is 104 degrees Fahrenheit, which is super hot for a chicken! They will get sleepy, expel shell-less eggs, eat very little, and drink lots of water. They can have wet looking poop, even watery diarrhea.

A chicken is happiest in 21-24 degrees Celsius, at 29 degrees Celcius the chicken begins to get hot. Some chickens have a hard time in hot weather, especially their first year. I had two hens expel shell-less eggs last year, for several days, and I even had to bathe them in cool water, as, they started to suffer from heat exhaustion. A chicken can die from extreme temperatures.

Here are some hot weather tips for your chickens.

The chicken will need to have shade, cool fresh water, a box fan to blow air is helpful, a misting system for temps over 37.7 Celsius will reduce the temperature in the area, too. If you place the box fan in front of the water bowls, the wind chill will make the water cold. This is much appreciated by the chickens. Large beach umbrellas or woven shade tarps can be used to add more shade in certain areas.

About your Medications.

The T-T-S fort, looks like a good medication for chickens. If they have a respiratory condition or intestinal, you can use that medication. The pills are also good, for certain bacterial infections, also. Talk to your vet about proper dosages for your chickens.

It is important to restore the chicken's intestinal flora, by giving them probiotics when they finish a course of antibiotics. This is the good bacteria that helps a chicken fight infection, and aides in digestion.

At this point, you have ruled out a crop problem, and throat issues too. She may just be having a hard time with the heat. Try to make things cooler for the chickens if you can. See if that helps, before giving medicine. A dose of vitamins is OK. But, electrolytes may needed for three days, to help the chicken feel better.

Here is a home made formula for electrolyte solution. I hope I have done the conversion from US cooking measurement to metric properly. :confused:

Electrolytes Solution

1 cup water or .2 liter water

2 tsp. Sugar or 8 grams of sugar

1/8 tsp. Salt or .5 gram salt

1/8 tsp. Baking Soda or .5 gram Sodium Bicarbonate

Combine and store in the refrigerator or, dilute into one gallon of water. Make fresh each day for the chickens to drink.

Or, you may administer 1 mL, with an oral syringe for illness or shock.

Electrolytes should be used only if birds appear stressed, usually at 102° F (38.8 C), and above. Or, if the chicken has symptoms of heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion happens before a full heat stroke (lethal).

You are doing such a great job. I can tell how much you care about you chickens.

I hope I have been helpful, in today's post.

God Bless and good health to you and your chicken. :)
Thanks alot!

Back
Top Bottom