Sick Hen

MetalFarm

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Nashville, TN
It was a sad night. I went to put them to bed and one of only two left of my first flock (both black astralorp sisters) from 4 years ago was in the corner on the floor alone which is usually where they end up before they pass.

When I went to grab her she got up and walked away but didn't resist too much. I noticed she had some dried white poop on her butt but not too bad. Her comb also looked a little less red.

I've learned that sometimes chickens just die. But this situation is sad because she's one of only two left of the OGs if you will. And I've also noticed that when one sister dies, the other is usually not far behind.

I put her in a kennel in the garage with a towel. I hope she makes it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

Is there any obvious issues? Snotty nose or eye bubbles? What does her poop look like. Rattling in the chest? Is she egg bound?

I just picked her up and she got very talkative. I opened the garage and she had no problem running away from the dog who was being a jerk.

She's a bit skinny.
Her poop is bright green in the middle and white runny around the edges.

I found a nasty green poop in a nesting box a couple days ago so I assume she's been in there. She spilled her water and food all over the garage so that leads me to believe she was getting in to it.

Generally green equals no food being digested. Generally it is pure bile when it is green. Does her crop have anything in it? Can you feel anything?

Has she been dewormed recently? Had she been laying eggs and suddenly stop around when you found the green poop?

Last edited:
You mean dewormed? It's probably been 6 months. I thought about it when I saw green poop but shouldn't I wait till spring?

Should I see if I can massage anything out of her crop?

I have too many hens to tell if she stopped laying. She didn't lay today after I separated her.

Should I turn her upside down and see if anything comes out of her crop?

I held her upside down and squeezed and she didn't throw up. Seems like there's nothing in there to come out. It does sound like her chest is rattling. When in squeezed it it kind of sounded like a couple rocks bouncing around a balloon. What does that tell me if anything??

Back
Top Bottom