sick hen

livinginanhoa

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2017
A couple of weeks back my hen stopped laying. Then i noticed that most of the day she would just lay down..She has free range of the back yard and she would still coop up at night.She is by herself , has been for a year or so. I've check her crull and stomach all seemed ok.. oh and she is pulling out feathers like crazy.. Any help would be most appreciated..

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Chickens do need socialization or else will be very lonely. Please get more than one hen (not pullet) so it reduces her chances of being top of the pecking order. Also, try to provide places for them to get away such as roosting bars, etc.. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hi and welcome

It sounds like she is moulting which is a normal seasonal occurrence with adult hens at this time of year. Some birds hardly seem to notice and others take it quite badly and act a bit depressed and even go off their food. They often enjoy a treat of greens like cabbage and spinach more at this time and it is perfectly normal for egg production to stop as they cannot produce eggs and new feathers.

I agree with the others that she would be best with the company of other chickens but integration has to be done slowly and carefully and you need the facilities to do it... ideally a separate coop and run adjacent to hers or her coop and run divided up if it is large enough to allow for that. It is perfectly normal that she will defend her territory and fight for pecking order but that doesn't mean that she would not be better of with other hens.

Back
Top Bottom