Sick hen

Gerleon

Chirping
Jun 24, 2019
This hen looks healthy and fluffy , but when I carry is not heavy and the chest bone i can filling a lot , and today was like don’t move to much and I sow big drop of diarrhea so is no bond egg any idea or what I can give to start help her
I put apple cedar vinagre in the water
731393EA-FFE5-43D9-A238-8655C2F4F314.jpeg
8B478DFB-0FBA-43E9-B613-366662173F8C.jpeg
49F714E7-899A-4395-8A12-F0236C00E13F.jpeg

It's not possible to tell you what's wrong with your hen from looking at a picture. All I can tell from the photo is she's very beautiful, and it makes me sad to hear she's sick.

I can give you a few possibilities. The most common cause of a hen feeling sick is a crop disorder. Is it evening now where you are? If so, make sure this hen doesn't have food and water tonight or in the morning until you have a chance to check her crop.

Feel her crop located slightly in the right side of her chest. If it's fat and full when you check it tomorrow morning, bingo. You have a hen with a crop issue. Next you need to decide if what you feel is spongy and soft like a water balloon or hard and lumpy like a sack of feed. Depending on what the state of her crop is, you will either be treating for sour crop (yeast infection) or impacted crop (constipation).

Here is an article to read. Read very carefully because it has dire warnings about what not to do which can cause immediate death. So take your time with it. The treatments are safe as long as you follow directions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Another possibility is the hen is starving because she is being bullied by other chickens and can't get enough to eat. This is more common than most people think. But to find out if this is your hen's problem, you need to pull a chair into the run during the day and watch how the others treat her, especially when she wants to eat from the feeder. If she's being picked on, there's a fix for that, too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Other possibilities include a reproductive illness such as ovarian cancer or infection in the reproductive tract. But you can't know for sure if this is her problem, and even if you did, most often nothing can be done to make her better.

There is the possibility of worms. Have you ever wormed your flock? There usually isn't any reason to unless you see worms in the poop or you've had a vet run a test on a few poop samples to see if there are worm eggs in it. This is an easy, quick, inexpensive test most vets will do even if they don't treat chickens. Call your vet and ask about a fecal float test.

These are a few of the most common chicken issues, not a complete list. But it should be enough to get you started. I hope something clicks and you are able to make your hen better.

Ok thanks for all , I For get say when I check the cloaca is clean but was moving Like try to lay at egg and i touch and pres to try to fill the egg but nothin can’t fill and I can’t bring to the bet is to expensive around here and is no specialized on chickens so I try to post here , last year I have almost the same problem couple died and I bring the bodie for exam and this was the diagnosis
But they want more
Only for make more test so I say no becouse I already expand 250 ant hey want other 150
la
7E825E25-2D8B-444D-B473-65F5AC5F59D8.png

You aren't in the US, are you? What is your location, if I may presume to inquire?

The necropsy test results is a good clue to what could be ailing this hen. Fungal spores are not destroyed easily and there may still be some around. To treat aspergillosis you need to get some fluconazole. If by chance you're in the US after all, you can order some here. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-flucon?sku=22170-205 Or else you will need to convince your vet to sell you some.

So is some problem whit the crop this morning Fill like jelly and later was full whith water i massage and throw up water do what I have to do coconut oil and masaje and then the fluconazol but what is the dosis 1 tablet 5 gallons
Or is diferent
Do all flock or just this one?

Please read the article on crop disorders again. There is a warning about massaging a crop that is soft and spongy and full of liquid. If the liquid comes up and happens to get into the airway, your chicken can die immediately while you're doing it. You do not want that to happen, so don't massage a crop with liquid in it.

Your hen has sour crop so you will need to treat her as I described in the article. Get the miconazole cream at the pharmacy where they have a shelf full of women's menstrual products. Give her about half an inch off your finger wiped into the inside of her beak two times or even three times a day for a full seven days.

Only the one hen with the liquid crop needs treatment. No coconut oil is necessary with sour crop. Read the article again. Then read it again.

I give the cream start yesterday nightIs is for seven days but how I know if is working ?
And I find today other hen whit one eye close maybe tou can tallme what can I do or I have to Star new threat
192305AB-AB90-4476-B91E-DDBF15D0B552.jpeg
B812F8BC-A08C-4CA9-BB47-B3E9D0F4A55D.jpeg

You'll know the yeast cream is working when the hen starts acting like she feels better. It should take effect in just one or two days, but treat her for a full seven days or the yeast can return.

The hen pictured above appears to have an eye infection or it could be from a respiratory infection. You can treat it with antibiotic ointment directly in the eye after you flush the eye out with saline eye wash. Pry the eye open to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom