Sick hen

Pollitos6

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
Hello

one of my hen has a swollen eye for about a week. At first I thought she scratched her eye and it will get better, but after a week I am getting concerned .She acts normal , eating , drinking , laying eggs . On November 27 I decided to isolate her inside my house in one of my spare rooms so I could treat her . After a closer look I can see discharge in her swollen eye , I cleaned her eye with camomile tea, applied vetericyn antimicrobial gel and vetrx in her comb and nose and mocus came out of her mouth and eye . I have googled her symptoms and it seems she could have respiratory infection . I have been injecting her 1/2cc tylan 50 for three days . She still acts Normal ( eats, drinks , lay eggs and sing) . Her eye still swollen after getting tylan for 3 days . The instructions says 3-5 days . She has attempted to open her eyes but not for long. So far no more mucus coming from her mouth . I guess she is slowly improving but I was expecting to have her eye fully open by now . I will keep giving her tylan for a couple more days to complete the 5 days cycle . Is there anything else I should be doing ?
Thanks

I would not think it was coryza unless there is a rotten odor from the face. MG could cause the symptoms, and the tylosin should help. I would give 0.25 ml per pound of weight orally 3 times daily for 5 days. If you have been underdosing, then I would give the full dose for 5 more days. Use it orally to help prevent muscle damage from the tylosin.

I would not think it was coryza unless there is a rotten odor from the face. MG could cause the symptoms, and the tylosin should help. I would give 0.25 ml per pound of weight orally 3 times daily for 5 days. If you have been underdosing, then I would give the full dose for 5 more days. Use it orally to help prevent muscle damage from the tylosin.
My hen does not have any rotten odor from her face at all. She is actually acting normal, her eye seems less swollen but not how I would like it to be yet. I honestly have not weighted my hen ( i should have) she is a middle size bird. I was just giving her 0.5 ml injectable tylan. Today will be the filth day giving her the injection but I will see how much she weight first to give her the right dose. I honestly think I have been underdosing her (i was afraid to overdose her so I played safe). I will try orally this time.

Thanks so much

Update..
I have been giving her the tylan 50 injections in her chest for 5 days. She is not getting worse but she is not opening her eye yet . What else should I do ? she is acting Normal , eating fine , drinking , she seems active , laying eggs . But that eye got me worry .

I appreciate any advice
Thanks

Attachments

• A4C88CC8-CA22-4CCA-B750-A5CA318DD99E.jpeg
    A4C88CC8-CA22-4CCA-B750-A5CA318DD99E.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 5D2D3128-3D0F-4460-8DB0-67153492086A.jpeg
    5D2D3128-3D0F-4460-8DB0-67153492086A.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 4
Look inside her eye for any pus around the eye. It sometimes can be sqeezed out. The eye can be cleaned with saljne and an antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to the eye twice a day. Here is a video of pus removal:

Look inside her eye for any pus around the eye. It sometimes can be sqeezed out. The eye can be cleaned with saljne and an antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to the eye twice a day. Here is a video of pus removal:

OMG i can't believe what it come out from the chicken's eye on the video.:eek:. I will try to look inside her eye and see if I can clean it.
Thanks

Update:
I have been cleaning my hen's eye with antibiotic ointment and trying to get the pus out ( I could see something bulky and cream color) but I was afraid to stick anything sharp in her eye so I used a q tip. It took me a few days because I was terrified to hurt her eye. Finally while trying to push the pus out with the q tip (soaked with ointment) the pus came out. It was a size of a pea and hard. I still can't believe that thing was inside her eye. so THANK YOU! so much for showing me that video. I learned something new. My hen "Hersey" is back with the flock her eye is open and back to normal..

Back
Top Bottom