Sick hen?

Does she lay eggs or has she recently? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction? Can you give some vitamins with riboflavin, such as vitamin B complex tablets 1/4 tablet daily crushed and given into a spoonful of water or food?

Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Is she weaker in one leg, or walking on her hocks? Are the toes curled under in either foot? Is she drinking well? Can you get her drinking some fluids with electrolytes?
Im not sure if she has laid. I know she doesnt lay every day, but i also have 23 hens. I have not checked her vent. I have vitamins i can give to her. No new hens. I think both legs were weak, walking flat footed, no curled toes or walking on hocks. I didnt notice her drinking, but she was eating.

What is your location? What has your weather been like lately? If it's been very hot, your hen could have heat stroke. That causes imbalance and weakness.
Central Indiana. Yesterday was around 75 and today was around 68. Not too hot.

Has she been eating? Have you ever seen her being bullied? If this hen is low in the pecking order and bullied, starvation can produce these symptoms.

I have a hen that seems off balance when she is standing and walking. She is walking slightly hunched over as well. I gave them some corn and she went after it like normal, but just side stepping to catch herself. Im not 100% how old she is because she was given to me. I would say maybe 5 or 6 years old. RIR. Im really afraid it might be Mareks

Im not sure if she has laid. I know she doesnt lay every day, but i also have 23 hens. I have not checked her vent. I have vitamins i can give to her. No new hens. I think both legs were weak, walking flat footed, no curled toes or walking on hocks. I didnt notice her drinking, but she was eating.
I don't think Marek's is the first thing I'd jump to if she's 5-6yrs of age.

What do you feed? You mention giving corn, how much corn do your hens get each day?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid. Check her over for lice/mites, consider deworming her if you haven't done so in the last few months. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

I would work on hydration. Get some vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) and E. Calcium wouldn't hurt either.
Offer her some wet feed once she's drinking well.

A hen that is of that age, I would suspect some type of reproductive disorder is affecting her, but I would also try to rule out a few other causes like parasites.

I don't think Marek's is the first thing I'd jump to if she's 5-6yrs of age.

What do you feed? You mention giving corn, how much corn do your hens get each day?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid. Check her over for lice/mites, consider deworming her if you haven't done so in the last few months. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

I would work on hydration. Get some vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) and E. Calcium wouldn't hurt either.
Offer her some wet feed once she's drinking well.

A hen that is of that age, I would suspect some type of reproductive disorder is affecting her, but I would also try to rule out a few other causes like parasites.
We just had left over corn on the cob from dinner that day. She is still eating and drinking very well. I gave her some vitamins as well. Her comb is still red, not dark red, and not pale. I felt her today to see if she was egg bound, and there was nothing there. She is more off balance today than yesterday, often falling forward on her face as well as falling to either side. She did try and get away from me when i caught her to look her over, she looks healthy, honestly. Just falling over. We have not used any pesticides or poison that she could have gotten to. Im not sure about parasites.. could i treat her for them? If so, what should i get, and where? I was at rural king today to see what i could find, and I didnt see anything for parasites.

Back
Top Bottom