Sick hen!

Ali Gator

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
My black Australorp hen is acting very strange. My rooster pulled the feathers off her back and clawed her up. Her skin is a purple color. We sold the roo that way he would not kill them. Normally she doesn't let you hold her but now she just sits with her eyes closed. We thought she was going broody but she has been like this for one day and she doesn't have eggs. She just sits by the feed. She is drinking and maybe eating. She is one of my favorite hens and I'm really worried. She didn't even respond like she usually
does to her favorite treat.

She is only one and has never had any problems before. I thick it might be an infection from the cuts.

what is her age? is he drinking (if not start on electrolytes)? severe injury may need medication and would cause eating drop. I would force electrolyte only to her, medicate open injuries, keep her separate and make sure she eats or is given a supplement until energy returns.

Where can I buy the electrolytes? I have read about how to make them as well. I am not sure if I will make it though.

if u have sav-a-chick electrolyte packs (good for grown hens too), use that. If not, get Gatorade. The electrolyte is the same, I use it on cows and other animals until I get my supply back up off powder.

you want to get her energy up just like a person who is sick and not eating. the doctor says force fluids (they don't mean water, they mean PowerAde or Gatorade for a reason). Also, any type of topical antibiotic ointment (im sure you have some you have used yourself). you need to stop an infection. However, injury is critical on an animal and brings down their desire to drink and eat to the point that within a couple of days it could be too late. Replacing their energy with needed nutrients that they are not getting is critical. Always keep a supply of Sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotic just for this occasion. The larger the bird, the less water. The pack is for one gallon. I have mixed the powder with a cup of water and used an eyedropper before. Any extra is usually flushed from the system. Just try and figure a 5 pound bird maybe one eyedropper, then wait and monitor. every four hours, squirt an eyedropper full.

Back
Top Bottom