Sick Indian Runner Duckling PLEASE HELP

farminglady

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Ontario, CANADA
My lil Marigold does not seem well.
I'm new to ducks.
Shes 5 or 6 weeks old and is breathing heavy, laying around, not eating much, not following her flock.
I love her so much and am very frightened for her.
I bought some "Electrolytes Plus" but for the life of me, cannot figure out the darn dosage! It says 400g pouch to 750L of drinking water.
OMG....I don't have anything big enough to do that and don't know how to convert the dosage.
the package says 1 tsp = 5 g.
Also bought epsom slats and can try that.
Please help.

My lil Marigold does not seem well.
I'm new to ducks.
Shes 5 or 6 weeks old and is breathing heavy, laying around, not eating much, not following her flock.
I love her so much and am very frightened for her.
I bought some "Electrolytes Plus" but for the life of me, cannot figure out the darn dosage! It says 400g pouch to 750L of drinking water.
OMG....I don't have anything big enough to do that and don't know how to convert the dosage.
the package says 1 tsp = 5 g.
Also bought epsom slats and can try that.
Please help.
Have you been having really high heat? seems some ducks have a harder time with it than others.
I have the very same Electrolytes Plus you have and I have no idea how to break that down, I haven't had to use this yet. On my bottle of Nutri Drench is says 0.5 tea per gallon of water so you would probably be safe using that ratio. Unless thinking she may have gotten into some kind of toxin I wouldn't use the Epsom salt. breathing heavy does that mean she is panting? any drainage from nares? eyes look bright? Have you put her in some water to see how she acts? will she swim around or get out? does she have shade to get out of the heat? dos she appear to be having any problem with her legs, some ducks can be niacin deficient and need a supplement. What about something wet and yummy like water melon or grapes or thawed frozen peas have you tried her on anything like that? just trying to form some kind of opinion.

Last edited:
Can you give up more information about the way you are keeping her.......

like how warm, cool is her brooder,
Do you have any other ducklings
What are you feeding her
etc

Thank you for the replies but my lil Marigold died that evening.
She was with the other ducks in her pen with the heat lamp on. The pen is 25X10 so there's lots of room for the ducks to move away from the heat if they choose. Poor Marigold just layed down and never opened her eyes. Wouldn't eat peas, wont drink, her nares were clear. She just panted and panted and panted....kinda like pneumonia, couldn't breathe properly. There's nothing toxic here at the farm, we do not use any chemicals at all, no herbicides, no pesticides, no fertilizers.
:(

Thank you for the replies but my lil Marigold died that evening.
She was with the other ducks in her pen with the heat lamp on. The pen is 25X10 so there's lots of room for the ducks to move away from the heat if they choose. Poor Marigold just layed down and never opened her eyes. Wouldn't eat peas, wont drink, her nares were clear. She just panted and panted and panted....kinda like pneumonia, couldn't breathe properly. There's nothing toxic here at the farm, we do not use any chemicals at all, no herbicides, no pesticides, no fertilizers.
:(
I'm so sorry to hear about Marigold. I'm thinking your ducklings don't need heat now and too high a heat can cause sickness and death to. if your temps are in the 60-70's at night even 50's at 6 weeks they don't need heat. very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
How are your other ducklings doing?

Back
Top Bottom