Sick lady? Acting lethargic

zoe1103

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2020
Virginia
Hi, so I have a red sex link I got probably a week ago now. I got her and a cuckoo maran that are about 1 1/2 years old. The cuckoo maran is doing great, eating and drinking, running around, foraging, etc.. all the normal chicken behaviors. However, the red sex link is not so hot at all right now. She hasn't eaten or drank all day... and as the sun goes down right now I'm growing concerned. She hasn't made her way up to the coop to sleep/roost, and just sits there kind of lifelessly. No vet around us sees chickens, and I am at a loss of what to do. She looks like she is molting but I'm not 100% sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

No matter what is wrong with her she needs to stay hydrated. Do you have any poultry vitamins/electrolytes? if so put some in her water and briefly dunk her beak in it. Has she been wormed before? How does her crop feel? It should be empty if she hasn't eaten in that long.

How old is she? Does she still lay eggs? What does her poop look like? If she is molting, that could be very hard on her. I agree to check her crop to see if it is emptying overnight, or if it could be sour or impacted. If you have some Poultry NutriDrench, electrolytes or water with sugar, give her some. My sick hens will sometimes eat scrambled egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food. Reproductive disorders, crop problems, parasites, or cancer can be common. Look her over for lice and mites.

Back
Top Bottom