Her belly... Feel between her legs is it full and firm or swollen and squishy?

Is there any sneezing or snot or coughing?
it

Like I said earlier, she's so thin she basically has no belly. No sneezing snot or coughing. She falls over a lot and seems to be giving up.

Worms will drain the birds energy by getting the feed nutrients before they get to the bird. They cause a lot of issues from listlessness, no eating, not drinking, weight loss, pale combs, anemia and more.
Lice and mites are blood suckers and will drain a bird causing weight loss, anemia and when bad the bird will stop eating or drinking because they are to weak.
what can I do to check if it is any of these before I go ahead and give her medicine/ treatment she doesn't need. We think it might be a disease or bug influenced by cold weather because it happened last winter too.

what can I do to check if it is any of these before I go ahead and give her medicine/ treatment she doesn't need. We think it might be a disease or bug influenced by cold weather because it happened last winter too.
The first thing you need to do is get the bird hydrated.
If you give her worm medicine right now it could kill her.

Often migrating wild birds will bring in parasites in the fall. In winter the hens don't have the greatest dust bathing areas so cannot self treat.

I am not sure that it IS parasites but it is good to rule those out.
A vet can run a fecal float test.
Mites and lice can be checked for once the birds have gone to roost. Checking once it is dark out is best because some only come out at night to feed off the birds while others actually live in the birds. You will need to have a flashlight (one worn on the head really helps) part the feathers and inspect around the vent, between the legs, under the wings and the back of the neck. Mites are EXTREMELY tiny....nearly to small to see with the naked eye so look well.
There may or may not be egg clusters at the base of feathers kind of like cotton swab looking.

I am hoping a vet is an option.

The first thing you need to do is get the bird hydrated.
If you give her worm medicine right now it could kill her.
Often migrating wild birds will bring in parasites in the fall. In winter the hens don't have the greatest dust bathing areas so cannot self treat.

I am not sure that it IS parasites but it is good to rule those out.
A vet can run a fecal float test.
Mites and lice can be checked for once the birds have gone to roost. Checking once it is dark out is best because some only come out at night to feed off the birds while others actually live in the birds. You will need to have a flashlight (one worn on the head really helps) part the feathers and inspect around the vent, between the legs, under the wings and the back of the neck. Mites are EXTREMELY tiny....nearly to small to see with the naked eye so look well.
There may or may not be egg clusters at the base of feathers kind of like cotton swab looking.

I am hoping a vet is an option.
ok I'll check tonight

Back
Top Bottom