Sick lethargic chicks

5chickfam

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
We bought 6 new chicks on Friday all different kinds. we brought them home and all seemed healthy. Saturday morning the golden sex link started falling asleep a lot and not moving. By the afternoon she was gone. We tried sugar water, checked everything we could. Now today, Monday the araucana is starting the same symptoms. This time her feathers are matted, but that is the only thing I can see. The other had no physical abnormalities.

I'm not sure my kids can handle another death and might make a run to the store to replace before they get home from school. Any thoughts on how to help or what to do with the rest of them? I have looked over the other threads. Poop is normal for them, no runny or bloody stool.
Thanks!

I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice since I'm a newbie on my first batch of chicks myself, but the same thing happened to one of my chicks. Brought them home on Thursday, Friday she was acting lethargic, and Saturday morning she was dead. No obvious symptoms other than being extra sleepy. The rest seem fine so far but I still worry. I hope your others will be OK!

I would check temperature, check for pasty butt and I would add Nutri-drench. You can give them a drop directly in their mouths....it's saved more than one of my babies. I got my Nutri-drench at TSC.

And what do you mean by feathers matted? If they're really young, which I'm assuming they are, they should be nice and fluffy. Did they get wet because getting chilled can kill them.

Back
Top Bottom