Sick Lethargic point of lay chicken

joshu454

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
I've 5 chickens in my flock, and as this is the first time raising them I'm somewhat unfamiliar with all the different issues they can have. They are only about 6 to 8 months old and one of them has fallen sick. Been doing research online but seems chickens exhibit similar symptoms for many different causes.

Anyhow, about 3 days ago I noticed one of my chickens wasn't too enthusiastic about eating. She would eat and drink from my hand, but wouldn't move about the yard to find her own food, and would run from me when I tried to pick her up: previously she was very active and friendly, and greedy when it came to snacks (just like the rest of them).

I figured hmm interesting, maybe she just had sun stroke because it was a hot day. I dipped her beak in the water and she drank readily. I checked her at night and she was roosting with the flock, so I figured that's good.

Next day same thing, so I started reading about illnesses online. I've separated her from the flock (non of the others show symptoms), so I can closer observe her. Some of the other things I've noticed are:

-very lethargic with a droopy tail
-She tents to stand on one foot, but when I feel the other foot she doesn't mind (though it could be stress from an injury to the foot)
-doesnt move at all when i put her down, she will stay in the same position all day and night.
-Crop is empty: she will eat if i hand feed her but not very much
-Tongue is pale whitish
-skin color is healthy: light pink
-feet are healthy: no signs of mites
-I felt what might have been an egg (not 100% sure what I'm looking for) but it was up near her rib cage, not by her pelvis. I would assume if she was eggbound she would by trying to get it out at least.
-no signs of molt
-green, very smelly, diarrhea, no signs of worms
- her crest is very dark red (a good sign).

At present, I've fed her some olive oil with a dropper (in case she had a blockage in her crop), given her oatmeal with yogurt, spiced up her water with electrolytes and vitamins.

I'm hesitant to give her antibiotics without knowing the cause, however, the water bowl in the chicken pen often gets dirty, and the chickens like to stand on it which causes them to poo in the water. Quite possibly she got sick from this, however none of the others did. I've since raised the water dish and put a coil of water on top so they cant roost there.

Any thoughts on the best course of action?

Well its pretty obvious now that she is favoring one leg. She hops around and tries not to put a leg now when she can help it.

Most likely an injury. However, she has been laying down as if she wants to lay and her body goes through contractions. Been 4 or 5 hours now and still no egg. I've tried the warm bath and the steam bath to try to loosen things up...still no luck.

I've no experience with egg bound chickens, I can feel her pelvis and it doesn't seem like there is an egg trying to get through. Still feels like a hard spot but its up by her ribs...maybe this is what its supposed to be? I don't know.

poor thing, i guess one way or another it will sort out or she will pass. Not sure what else i can do.

Back
Top Bottom