Sick little silkie

AshBits007

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I have a 10 week old silkie who has what we believe to be a respitory infection. She is breathing weird and starting to sneeze. I was told to get a bag of oxytetracycline powder to mix in her water. Any help with the proper measurements of powder to water and anyother advice is greatly appreciated. We do already have her quarantined. We have been keeping a small flock of chickens for close to 10 years now, and this is the first time we have ever had a sick chicken.

As soon as the little silkie was better, some of our other chickens started sneezing. we have done a dosed the entire coop with oxytetracycline. now it seems like some have cleared up, but a couple still have runny nose and a sneeze. I picked up tylan 50 and syringes, and as im sitting here reading through the different threads to get dosage info I check my bottle, and the medicine expired last month. so I will exchange it tomorrow once the feedstore is open. I have chicks ranging from 4 weeks to 6years old. we have 31 all together, would it be best to give everyone tylan? they all share the same living area and free range together.

As soon as the little silkie was better, some of our other chickens started sneezing. we have done a dosed the entire coop with oxytetracycline. now it seems like some have cleared up, but a couple still have runny nose and a sneeze. I picked up tylan 50 and syringes, and as im sitting here reading through the different threads to get dosage info I check my bottle, and the medicine expired last month. so I will exchange it tomorrow once the feedstore is open. I have chicks ranging from 4 weeks to 6years old. we have 31 all together, would it be best to give everyone tylan? they all share the same living area and free range together.
Have you seen any other symptoms such as swelling around an eye or the face, nasal drainage, or wheezing or rattles? If all you have seen is sneezing, you could be dealing with a virus, infectious bronchitis, and although antibiotics may prevent secondary bacterial infections, they won't cure a virus, so the virus has to run it's course over 4-5 weeks. IB will affect chicks pretty bad, but it usually doesn't kill older chickens. There is Tylan Soluble Powder that can be used in the water--it is expensive, around $54, but it goes a long way, and would be easier treating so many chickens. I would not recommend treating chickens who are showing symptoms normally, but if it is all over your flock you may need to. Tylan 50 dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for up to 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb once a day for 3-5 days. Some do give Tylan 50 orally (especially if it is a small chick) but it works best as a shot int the breast muscle.

Back
Top Bottom