Sick looking Chicks

ggrap

Songster
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Colorado
I have quite a few chicks I am raising. Just yesterday I noticed that I have 3 that have the same symptoms, and I hope someone can help.

Out of all the breeds that I have the sick looking ones are all Barred Rocks, which I thought was weird.

Symptoms are a pasty butt with bad smelly poop, and a really full crop. Like food is not moving through as it should.

I do not us medicated feed, but have brought 100's of chicks up the way I am doing with these. I feed them rice, corn, oats, alfalfa, egg and grit.

The things that I am doing differently recently are: I put sugar and baby vitamins in the water. And I stopped using pine shavings for litter and just use newspaper. The area is relatively clean, I change it every few days.

Give me your wisdom.

How old are they? Are they eating and drinking normally? Are they active? Lethargic?

If they are young (like a week or two old or younger), newpaper is not a good idea. It can cause spraddled legs. Just lay down some paper towels, napkins, or toilet paper. It helps them get their traction on the floor.

I've had chicks with pasty butts before and I just cleaned it off with water and a Q-tip every time it got bad. The vitamins is a good idea. Just don't overuse them - it could cause them to be unresponsive to the treatment when they need it if they get it too much now. I would also lay off the rice - I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that it can hurt a bird's digestive system.

Anyone else know about rice? I have never had a problem with it. These birds are 3-4 weeks old. Can you give them too much sugar and cause the plugging?

Everything else is normal as far as I can tell.

Anyone recognize these symptoms? ?They are having trouble pooping too.

I would appreciate any help.

Sorry all my chicks when i had them seemed fine. I am sure someone here will help soon
I hope everything is ok with your little ones!!

I would say to stop putting sugar in the water. That's usually just used for the first day to help reduce shipping stress and give them a boost of energy to perk up. It's not so good on a daily basis. Too much sugary drinks for kids will give them diarrhea, so maybe it could cause pasty butt in the chicks.

I hope that is all it is, I thought about this. Have found more.

Now, why in the world are they only my Barred Rocks? That has me really stumped. And they are not all the same age, just the same breed.

I pulled the 4 BR's out and isolated them. Cleaned the whole area well and changed to water with out sugar.

I thought about starting antibiotics, will this help or make the diarrhea worse?

Maybe those particular chicks' parents were not quite as healthy as should be, or the shells were dirty. I don't know...but I would try some apple cider vinegar in their drinking water. You might add some electrolyte solution also. I would do one or the other though, not both at the same time. And make sure that are warm enough though I know you know this.
smile.png

Best of luck with them!

Oh, I totally agree with the Apple Cider Vinegar...use "Unfiltered, With the Mother". It has great health benefits, including anti bacterial properties. I am using it my chickens' water now on a daily basis.

I have no idea why just the BR's are not doing good, that is strange.

Don't use antibiotics unless you know what illness you're treating.

Back
Top Bottom