Sick, molting hen - I’m stumped.

I just went through this exact thing. My hen was starved, molting and blind in one eye. She got attacked by a raccoon but not injured ( I heard her screaming and chased it off before it didn't anything but psychological damage). After that she was very scetched out and wouldn't eat if other chickens got too close to her. By the time I isolated her (stupid me) she had a raging cocci infestation. If you start the corid make sure not to give vitamins and don't give too high a dose as diahhrrea can actually prevent the corid from maximum effectiveness (per my vet). My hen didnt make it sadly-hopefully this advice helps you save yours! All the other advice that has been given is great as well! Good luck with your hen!

She has not laid in many, many months - thought was a reproductive issue so just let it be.

She was not laying eggs for many many months. Her stance in the photos - she's not feeling well and it reminds me of hens that have reproductive issues. Possibly she's trying to come back into lay after molt and has laid internally ... or?? Hard to know.

I would still work on hydration. Deworm and treat for Coccidiosis as suggested. Make sure her crop is emptying and there's no lice/mites.

Hopefully she will perk up for you.

You are right - it was Mareks. Ugh - so many things! I see I can get corrid at my Tractor Supply. Think it’s okay to treat for worms and coccidosis at the same time? If not, why would you treat for first?
You can treat with the wormer orally, then start on Corid water at the same time for 5-7 days. It is okay to do both since you don’t know exactly what is wrong. The alternative would be to get a fecal float for worms and coccidiosis if you can get results the same day. Just because she stopped laying in March, she could still be laying internally. Reproductive disorders are a common problem.

for most all types of worms except tapeworms.
There are a couple types of tapeworms that fenbendazole does treat. It doesn't treat Dipylidium caninum, which I believe is the most common. However, I've read a lot on here that Safegaurd doesn't treat tapeworms. Are the type of tapeworms it treats just not common in chickens? I'm just curious because I haven't been able to find anything on what types of tapeworms effect chickens.

She was not laying eggs for many many months. Her stance in the photos - she's not feeling well and it reminds me of hens that have reproductive issues. Possibly she's trying to come back into lay after molt and has laid internally ... or?? Hard to know.

I would still work on hydration. Deworm and treat for Coccidiosis as suggested. Make sure her crop is emptying and there's no lice/mites.

Hopefully she will perk up for you.
@Wyorp Rock - thank you. I checked her vent/back end and don’t feel anything. I checked her feathers and there are still some pin feathers that have yet to “blossom” so moly may still be hurting. She ate some tuna and treats this am. I gave her some more NutriDrench and water. Will get Corid today and start treating for that and worms. Assuming it’s okay to treat both at the same time? Also attach photo of her poo. Malnutrition?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 8
Nutridrench has thiamine mononitrate in the ingredients list, so I wouldn't use that when treating for coccidiosis. If your hen is not drinking, you can drench dose her, in addition to have the corid in the water source. Per @casportpony great thread, below are the drench dosage.

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

The OP is just wanting to know about general worming, and most chickens do not have tapeworms.

Most vets prescribe Droncit or Drontal (praziquantel) for tapeworms in pets, in my experience. Praziquantel is available in Equimax horse wormer.

Here is an ancient but very interesting read about tapeworms in poultry, and their intermediate hosts which are how most get tapeworms:
https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/IND43894740/PDF

Here is another good read about worms in poultry:
https://www.veterinary-practice.com/article/common-poultry-worms
Note that flubendazole
/flubenvet is only available in the UK:

@Wyorp Rock - thank you. I checked her vent/back end and don’t feel anything. I checked her feathers and there are still some pin feathers that have yet to “blossom” so moly may still be hurting. She ate some tuna and treats this am. I gave her some more NutriDrench and water. Will get Corid today and start treating for that and worms. Assuming it’s okay to treat both at the same time? Also attach photo of her poo. Malnutrition?
Once you start the Corid, stop the Nutri-Drench until after the treatment is finished.

Most hens in my flock are molting but one is definitely not well. She secluded herself from the group. Her tail is down, her comb and wattles are pale. Her crop is not full at the end of the night so I’m guessing she’s not eating. I’ve checked for mites - not seeing any. Her pop is white-ish and there’s very little of it. This a.m. she had a small greenish one. I’ve checked her mouth and I don’t see any “thrush” so don’t think it’s sour crop. I’ve given her Poulty Cell, NutriDrench, and water by syringe. She did take a bit of yogurt but not much. She will eat treats. I have her in the house during the day.
I’m at a loss. Any other things I can do?
Look at her vent for any sign of parasite or swelling. Something I came across with one of my hens.

Whatever happened to your hen? I have one going through a similar issue right now. I have been tube feeding water and a slurry of feed. I also started working as well. I think mine is making progress, as there are no more of the tiny green poops. Still hoping mine starts eating and drinking in her own again.

Back
Top Bottom