Sick Muscovy Duck with weakness & shaking head

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AKB29428, May 25, 2019.

1. AKB29428

AKB29428 In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    I have 2 half grown Muscovy ducks, almost completely feathered out. A Drake and a Hen. A few days ago found my hen lying down with her neck stretched out in front of her unable to lift her head. Syringe fed her electrolytes (formula 911) & in a few hours she was back on her feet although her head was a little shaky. By that evening she was back to normal, no shaking & eating & drinking. She's been fine up until now, I just checked on them & she was lying in the same way as when I found her before. Right now she is still able to hold her head up for a short time but it's very shaky and she only stands for a few seconds but doesn't walk, she then returns to the same position with neck & head outstretched in front of her. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or what I could possibly do to help this? I thought we were out of the woods when she recovered the first time & I'm frantic to help her now if I can. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me!

UPDATE: As of now, about 2 hours after finding her down & with trembly shaky head & outstretched neck she is back up & moving around. After reading through pages of different duck threads I'm thinking I should try the vitamin B complex tomorrow, any opinions? I have no avian vets anywhere near me, nearest are a few hours away, so I'm on my own to help her. They are still eating mostly starter crumbles, some scratch grains sporadically throughout the day. I keep food & water available at all times. Also still using a brooder lamp at night because they become upset if it's not on after dark.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    That is exactly what you need to do and it would be much better if you could start it today! This is what you need to get. 1 ml over a treat that it will be sure to eat all of like meal worms or tomatoes. All the ducks can have it without a problem, any excess they get will be excreated so don't worry about that. Just be sure to get the little sick on a full dose.

Tractor Supply has it in the cattle dept and the bottles look like this they are the same just different labels.
    IMG_0251.JPG

AKB29428 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: