Sick , need help advise asap

Blip

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
We are brand new to the chicken world. We have a rooster who was doing great until two days ago. He will not make a sound now, nothing. He has this yellow slim in and on the out side edge of his mouth. He sleeps all the time and does not want to eat at all. We put a worm in front of him and he did nothing.
He only drinks when I put a bowl of water up to his mouth.
I have no idea what to do, I dont want my other chicken to get sick. Does anyone know what to do here?
He also has very bad diarrhea,
Thanks

Read the sticky note at the top of the page- you can reply to your own post with more info on your bird. Age, breed, where did you get it, how long have you had him, diet, other birds ok, what does the diarrhea look like? Pick him up and give him a good exam- check his crop & check for lice. Look in his mouth as well. More information will allow people to give you better advice.

I dont know how old he is, I got him two weeks ago at a Farmers market. Theres only two birds here I will post a few pic's , dont know the breeds.
His mouth seems to have this yellow slim in it, I wiped it out and it has come back. The Diarrhea is very watery and dark brown. I looked at him, dont see anything at all on him.
sq5fes.jpg

This is the other hen
2cdii2r.jpg

Thank you so much for the help.

Last edited:
Your roo's troubles are difficult for a layman to diagnose. It seems that he has a respiratory disease that's effecting his trachea and producing that yellow mucous. It can also cause diarrhea. The problem is, many respiratory diseases are viral which, like the common cold in humans, has no treatment. Sometimes, these viral infections will give rise to secondary bacterial infections, which can be treated with antibiotics. As a rule, respiratory diseases are infectious and so this roo probably has put your hens at risk. Rather than trying to guess at what's wrong, I recommend that you get a professional diagnosis from your Vet or by contacting your State Veterinarian.

Back
Top Bottom