sick of poopsicles - and they're still molting

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
At least the poopsicles are easier to clean up; but the girls are still molting and won't even go into their covered enclosed run. . . they are just hunkering down in the coop.

and forget going out in the snowy yard.
sad.png

My girls refuse to go into their covered, enclosed run, either. There isn't even any snow in there! Gonna be a long winter for the chickies...

Who can blame them??? I usually sit outside with my girls several times a day for visiting/socialization. Even with three layers of pants and a down coat, my butt was COLD today and I did very little chicken visiting. And THIS is why so many suggest building coops larger than the minimums suggested...
tongue.png

My husband opened the coop this morning, but no one wanted to come down. I took them out some warm yogurt and mash....coaxed them out for a few nibbles, then straight back into the coop. Brought them warm water to replace the earlier, now "hard" water. No interest. Finally, when I looked into the coop and saw all four of them bellied up to the cinderblock with the light bulb under it to keep the inside waterer from freezing, I just closed the pop door to cut down the drafts, and called it a day. But, kudos to Agnes, who managed to lay me an egg any way. She's such a good girl.

mm

Got to wade in. My girls, RIRs, love being out in their enclosed pen even in sub-zero temps. They do go inside the hen house after their morning "snack" but that's to lay eggs. I do sit out with them a bit every day, you know to socialize. Even with my long johns on under lots of layers, I get too cold for much time with them. I did open the pen the other day, just to see how they would deal with all the snow (this is their first winter). They ran out, realized they didn't like that white stuff and quick ran back inside. Lordy, I am looking forward to Spring.

My ladies are ready and waiting for me in the morning to let them out into their run. They come into the coop to hit the nesting boxes but then go back outside till around 4:00 and then they can be found on their roosts back inside. And yeah, they're not too excited about the snow.

Back
Top Bottom