Sick or normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shared Acres, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have a little silkie chick that is a week old. She doesn't seem to be quite as active as the other 12 chicks.

She is moving and looks like she may be eating some--but the other chicks run to the food bowl while she stands in the corner most of the time.

She looks like she might be having slightly labored breathing. Beak isn't open but her body just seems to shake a little more than the rest. Of course it's soooo hard to tell on them this age.

The fact that she isn't running to the food when the others are, is kind of weird to me.

What do you think?

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I have an EE that was the same way. She is running around and healthy as ever now. Just not the most social of chicks. [​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It's hard to say if thats normal or not, Could be either one !! Does she show any signs of being sick ?? Maybe she isent sick just not thriving !! That happens a lot in chicks. As long as she is eating, drinking, and pooping she's got a chance.... Good luck !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I haven't seen her drink but I think she is. I saw her poop and that was normal.

Should I give her anything?

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    What does she do when you pick her up and put her over at the food with the other chicks?

6. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I saw her drinking water today and I see her occasionally scratching for food.

Could she just be not really assertive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by