sick or not sick

Hi I need help I have a few chickens that have bald spots on there head right behind there crowns I noticed it yesterday when I went to clean out some of the coop but there eating and drinking there feet look good no poop butts I haven't seen any fighting but they were in there coop for 3-4 days after snow storm they would not come out they would stick there heads out and eat snow but that was all ,since the weather has been 35-40 degrees this week they have been comming out, I'm just worried it's miss or lice I haven't seen anything ,so I have 10 hens and 2 roos that's 12 , there in a big coop and it's warm and dry and ventilated ,IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE HELP ME it's my first winter with chickens got them last year they been outside since beginning of summer, and have been doing good but the winter is taking a toll my roos tail feathers look like he's been sitting on them for ever any help is greatly appreciated thank u
:bun :welcome :bun

If the roo is suffering from bald spots as well, this could very well be a mite or lice issue. Some poultry spray or powder will definitely help, Ivermectin pour is an option as well. Check the rest of their bodies, especially around the vent. Lice especially love to hide back here, even lay eggs. You will also need to clean out your nest boxes, the entire coop and spray everything down as well. Concentrate under the roost bar where mites like to hide during the day and lay eggs.

I agree. However, if the roosters heads are fine, no signs of lice, I believe it will be from breeding.

Mating damage to the hens.

Flock dynamics to the boys tail.

I have had both lice and mites but NOT baldness caused by them. There are usually MORE indicators including eggs near the base of feathers that might look like clumps of dirt.

The are 3 types of chicken lice. I believe they are head, body, and feather. Interestingly the head lice will never travel to the body. Easiest way to check for lice or mite (the ones that are visible) is a few hours after dark remove the birds fro roost. Using a flashlight part the feathers near the vent and abdomen and look for things running away. Some mites are invisible. But others actually don't live on the bird and only come out to feed in the at night and so won't be seen on the bird during day time inspections. Northern Fowl mites are very common and should be visible with that kind if inspection. If ANY of those need to be treated, my favorite product is permethrin spray. It's safe, effective, affordable, and easy to use with NO withdrawal time for eggs if used according to directions.

However your CURRENT issue is having two randy young cockerels possibly competitively mating your pullets. Sometimes they will have favorites and not spread the love around enough causing issue even for people who may have plenty ladies. They don't get the designation rooster, cock, or hen until after 1 year old. If you wish to keep a 2- 10 ratio, it should be easier with older birds. Otherwise separate them boys and give the ladies a chance to recover. They really do become better (more mature) with age in my experience.

Concentrate under the roost bar where mites like to hide during the day and lay eggs.
Those are the red roost mites that I mentioned not living on the bird. :)

I personally would NOT use ivermectin as it is off label and no accurate time has been given for egg withdrawal that I have seen. Plus it is a bovine dewormer and VERY hard on the birds system IMO. The permethrin spray will treat all of those EXCEPT depluming mites and maybe scaly leg mites, both of which are systemic and microscopic so you will only see their evidence and not them. I bought mine labeled as horse fly spray in a trigger bottle for about $10 to keep the mosquitoes off my goats and dogs. Turns out it is labeled for many species and pest uses. That bottle has lasted me almost 2 years when treating 2 large goats, 3 big dogs, 60+ chickens, plus walls, floors, nest boxes... the whole enchilada!

Regardless of whether ALL birds show symptoms or not DOESN'T mean you don't have them. Studies conducted in Ca show the in all flocks about 10% of the birds carried 90% of the pests. Thing is just like us, each birds has it's OWN immune system and some will fight things off better than others. I took a shook to the vet who had gotten into my stag pen when she USED to hide her nest. He neck feathers were missing a very long time. Took her to the vet to ensure there wasn't more going on than meets the EYE. He declared her pest free and said their was evidence of previous pest damage. Well, I came home and had a boy leaving to a new home that day. Checked his vent on the way out... low and behold he was crawling with something. Either mites or lice, I didn't waste time trying to identify. I gave him a few squirts.. 1 to the nape of neck, under each wing and to the vent. Watched them start dying instantly... and he lived happily ever after at his new home where he inherited 10 ladies of his own. And, I wan't even trying to find him a home.. he was all set to be culled and just got lucky that someone contacted me for something else and just happened to ask. I traded him for an already processed (and wonderfully delicious) broiler. :thumbsup

Point being NOT all birds and parasite loads are equal even among the same flock.

Rooster activity would pull out feathers. Lice and mites would definitely cause baldness.
I have had both lice and mites but NOT baldness caused by them.
I wanted to clarify... that what I meant is mites/lice don't cause baldness right away. So not balding doesn't mean you don't have them.

I agree if gone unnoticed or untreated for a long time that would be the likely outcome. And I think it's partly related to over preening from the itchiness.

Each situation is unique of course. :)

welcome.gif
Welcome to Backyard chickens!

Attachments

• UCD Mite paper.pdf
    414.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom