Sick Orphy--Please Help!

Krystle807

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
ESVA
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, 10 weeks.
About the same size/weight as the others, although has lost a little condition over past 2 days.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
When I first noticed something was off with her, she was standing off in the corner by herself with her head tilted to the side, dropped wings and feathers a little ruffled. She was chirping. She acted like she was drunk when she tried to walk to me--very unsteady on her feet. I brought her inside and she ate/drank and seemed to be doing better, however, overnight, behavior has changed to where she can't stand up and lays on one side. Can move her legs but not her wings. Head is still tilted to one side. If I try to move her or if she is startled, she starts thrashing around like a fish out of water, kicking her legs. Head is tilted towards the right and her right eye pupil looks larger than the left and not reacting to light. She has clear discharge coming from her nose now and she has also started opening and closing her mouth when she breathes.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
First noticed change in behavior yesterday evening.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, none of the others are and I have kept a close eye to make sure they are all acting normally.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, this is one of the first things I checked for to make sure she hadn't been bullied--no signs of anything.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea. At first, my first thought is that she was too cold; we had a huge temperature drop yesterday during the day from 40-50 degrees down to in the 20s. I brought her in but after getting warmed up, symptoms only improved temporarily before she took a turn during the night.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Unmedicated Chick Starter, water--warm water when it was really cold to help keep them warm.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal. This is why I am so confused as to what could be wrong because normally there are symptoms in the poop. They had a bought with Cocci a few weeks ago which was treated and all poops have been normal. No signs of pink or red in her poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Electrolytes in her water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Self treat, we do not have a local avian doctor in my area, I've had to travel to see one previously.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
no wounds
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Right now she is in a plastic bin with a towel to stabilize her so she doesn't thrash around in the house. Normally she is in a run with little coop to keep them safe with straw bedding.

If anyone has any idea what is going on, please let me know! I can usually figure out what the ailments are and treat but this one is really puzzling since some of her symptoms are all over the place. Thank you!

Last edited:
anyone???
idunno.gif

Oh I'm sorry about your sick pullet. My first thought was cocci, but then I read you had treated for it. My next guess would maybe be some type of respiratory issue since she's having discharge. I wish I could be of some more help to you. Have you tried googling her symptoms?? Is she walking?? Move her wings?? Paralysis can be a sigh of Mereks disease, but some vitamin deficiencies can mimic Mereks symptoms.

Just came to this site for the same reason. My 2 year old leg-horn is acting drunk swaying back and forth really strange! she was fine yesterday I also wondered if she was cold as it's been freezing here but the rest of the chickens are fine so far. she was actually still the only one still laying up until two days ago.

Last edited:
That was my first thought with it being so cold out, that maybe she got a "cold"/some kind of respiratory issue but it's all the other things going on that was puzzling. I wonder if it could've caused nerve damage that has caused the paralysis? Her symptoms just went downhill so quickly though, because like I said, she was walking drunk but once I brought her in and got her warm, she was standing and eating fine, but it was during the night, around 1am she went downhill and started with the thrashing and paralysis.
Google did not help
hide.gif
it just made me more confused because she seems to have 2 symptoms of everything, except again, her poop has been normal. I though possibly Marek's but as you said, so many other ailments can mimic so I just am at a loss. She can't use her legs to support herself so no walking at all, she's just laying on her side but she can move/kick her legs(she does this when she starts thrashing around) however, she has not moved her wings when she does this they just stay at her side.

Last edited:
Take a look at this thread. It might answer some questions about the diseases and the vitamins you can give.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...lavin-deficiency-please-help/10#post_14367089

If she were mine I would try the vitamins and see if there is any improvement. She's only 10 weeks old, but do you worm them?? I'm not sure if she is too young. I worm all mine with Valbazen, but you can also use safeguard for goats.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I actually read through those threads when I found them on google--they definitely have a lot of useful information. I am going to try and get some Baytril asap and start to treat with some apple cider vinegar to see if that helps any(I've heard this is a natural remedy for some ailments). Going to also try to give her some scrambled egg and try to get her stable again. I don't worm until they are older. My older ones are wormed, just not the littles.

Do you have baytril? I have the link for it if you need it. I am not sure if acv and baytril should be given together. It might cause some GI problems. Baytril can be tough on them plus the acv can be tough on them too. Just a thought.

No I don't have any Baytril, I've been searching for it online. I'm thinking it's definitely a respiratory thing with the way her symptoms are now. She is still opening and closing her mouth with every breath. She actually can flap her wings and can still move her legs but just can't support herself sitting or standing...just still leans on one side or the other. Not eating and drinking I have been forcing her :(

Back
Top Bottom