Sick peachick, any tips?

Snow Briar

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
This one might be abandoned, but anyway. He was very cold when I found him and did not flock call. The adopted mother didn't seem to care that he was gone.

He is perhaps three weeks old. There was some drama about his mother that I shared in another post, he's been doing fine otherwise. His bones are protruding from his abdomen, so he seems malnourished. Lightweight, I can't give his exact weight at the moment. Beak is purple tinted. Throat is clear, nose holes (why can I never remember the word for bird nose?) is clear. Otherwise seems fine, but tired and hungry. Probably not going to make it judging by the look in his eyes but I'll give it a go.

So! Tips, tricks, handy sticks? I plan on syringe feeding him as usual, but I've never cared for peachicks before so advice is appreciated! So electrolytes is probably a good idea, hard boiled egg and starter feed, perhaps some mashed potatoes? Bugs? They really need attention from their caregivers I've read so it stays with me 100% percent of the time right? What're you're thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20231002_141559757.jpg
    IMG_20231002_141559757.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20231002_141624462.jpg
    IMG_20231002_141624462.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 3
It's been a couple days so I hope it's still hanging in there. I'd imagine it's biggest problem was and is, is dehydration so your giving it electrolytes was a great idea.

Otherwise, I'd be feeding it medicated game crumbles but wet it and make a mash and see if it likes that better than just dry. I'd stick to just the game feed as it's a little young to be eating other stuff without getting grit which he shouldn't probably have either right now. I'd also be watchful for cocci.

I hope it's doing okay, and continues to!

Kaytee Baby Bird Feed, mix it up with toltrazuril water. Mix the toltrazuril as directed on the package and use it to make the Kaytee food thin enough to go through the crop needle (gavage feeding tube). Keep warm, at least 85* until healthy then see if mom will take it back. You will need a larger size than this one in the picture.
IMG_8488.JPG

Back
Top Bottom