Sick Peacock- Need Advice

Hi all

I have a sick 3 month old India blue peafowl. I noticed that 4 days ago he was hiding in his box and would only come out to cry to his siblings. He has ruffled feathers and keeps his neck down and is underweight. I took him home and put him on a Doxycycline Hydrochloride/psittavet. He's been on that 2 days and there has not been an improvement. He has had diarrhea since I brought him home and now is more frequent. He seems not to be eating too much/no food in all the poop. Urates are now yellow & lots of urine. I prepared some emergency regiment of vitamins & electrolytes in wet food. He liked this but it seemed like he has difficulty getting it down between eating stretches his neck and opens his mouth after a few bites etc. Didn't feel any crop impaction etc. Now I'm wondering worms or blackhead? I've also had coccidia in my chickens but they haven't been mixed together or been on the same ground even. I have meds for most stuff on hand but don't know where to go with it. Can anyone recommend a food to tempt him with to get his eating up? Any medication recommendations? I'm afraid if I don't figure this out he won't last that much longer. I am new to peafowl but have had caged birds for years. Thanks in advance for help!

Jen
Please help i am having the same problem with mine aswell

Hi all

I have a sick 3 month old India blue peafowl. I noticed that 4 days ago he was hiding in his box and would only come out to cry to his siblings. He has ruffled feathers and keeps his neck down and is underweight. I took him home and put him on a Doxycycline Hydrochloride/psittavet. He's been on that 2 days and there has not been an improvement. He has had diarrhea since I brought him home and now is more frequent. He seems not to be eating too much/no food in all the poop. Urates are now yellow & lots of urine. I prepared some emergency regiment of vitamins & electrolytes in wet food. He liked this but it seemed like he has difficulty getting it down between eating stretches his neck and opens his mouth after a few bites etc. Didn't feel any crop impaction etc. Now I'm wondering worms or blackhead? I've also had coccidia in my chickens but they haven't been mixed together or been on the same ground even. I have meds for most stuff on hand but don't know where to go with it. Can anyone recommend a food to tempt him with to get his eating up? Any medication recommendations? I'm afraid if I don't figure this out he won't last that much longer. I am new to peafowl but have had caged birds for years. Thanks in advance for help!

Jen

Back
Top Bottom