Sick Peking duckling!

Sorry, I don't think Miss Lydia's tag worked for me.

From the video, it definitely looks like she is having a hard time supporting her neck, that could be caused by a few reasons, but what we tend to see with birds around that age is a nutritional deficiency, often either in thiamine (b1) or vitamin E. I see that your giving her B vitamin and poultry nutri drench in her water, but I would personally suggest against that since the taste can be unpalatable and they're water intake might decrease. Instead try mixing some B complex, and one capsule of human 400iu soft gel into some mashed scrambled eggs, and see if she'll take to that. Provide clean water.

The lump is on the side of her neck, correct? How does it feel, like a bean bag, hard, or like air? Does it go away in the morning?

How big is their pen area, what is the temperature? What are you feeding them?
Yes, the lump is on the side. She let's me massage it. It felt like a bean bag. It is back this morning. I feed chick starter with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. I started with the smashed peas with b complex and one vitamen e softgel yesterday. I've been doing that once a day. They don't seem to mind the b complex in their water. They have chick grit available at all times. Should I just give them a food slurry a couple times a day instead of dry crumbles for a bit?

They are in a smaller pen at the moment because I didn't want her to not be able to get to her food. They have a heat lamp, it's about 80° in their pen

Last edited:
Are you also offering chick grit? The only time they don’t need grit is when eating crumbles. All other food they need chick grit so they can grind up their roughage. Stop feeing anything other than their crumbles for now. And make their feed like warm soup so it’s easier to get down. Is she eating an drinking? Get chick grit put in a container close to feed but no in it. They know instinctively to use it as needed. As for the impacted food if this is her problem I am not sure what to do but I’ll tag @Isaac 0 maybe he’s had experience with this .
Sorry spelled your name wrong again 🤦🏼‍♀️

Yes, the lump is on the side. She let's me massage it. It felt like a bean bag. It is back this morning. I feed chick starter with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. I started with the smashed peas with b complex and one vitamen e softgel yesterday. I've been doing that once a day. They don't seem to mind the b complex in their water. They have chick grit available at all times. Should I just give them a food slurry a couple times a day instead of dry crumbles for a bit?

They are in a smaller pen at the moment because I didn't want her to not be able to get to her food. They have a heat lamp, it's about 80° in their pen

A bean bag is about what the area (crop) should feel like. To be clear, the area is still big in the morning? How does her poop look?

Since you just started the vitamins, it may be a few days/week until you see some improvement. Just keep it up with the vitamins.

Ok, thank you @Isaac 0 for your help. She looks like a vulture when she gets up to walk around. She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Just very weak neck and very shaky on her feet. Sometimes she stumbles like a drunk duck.

Attachments

• 20200817_181144.jpg
    20200817_181144.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 14
I had one that was lethargic Sunday, gave it an egg yolk, sugar water and rooster booster. Didn't expect it to last the night but if it was going to its happy place it was going well feed and hyper. Had to use a syringe to get it down, but the next morning it was still alive and I couldn't pick it out, so all 15 got scrambled eggs. The sick one was one of the yellow ones.

Last edited:
Not much progress with my poor girl. I almost think something respiratory is going on now... she almost sounds like she's honking when/if she tries to stand up to preen. She now has slight diarrhea as well. I don't know what to do for her. I can't afford to take her to the vet right now, I'm out of work for a couple more weeks... is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• 1597807495407552727622838222505.jpg
    1597807495407552727622838222505.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 11
Have you tried cutting all her/his feed except the starter with the brewer's yeast mixed in and see how much of that she is eating?
I have, she does eat. Just not as much as she needs to grow at this point. She is definitely getting stronger. Hopefully she'll continue to get stronger by the day.

Back
Top Bottom