Sick pet duck, advice would be of great help!

If you know someone with a wood stove who only ever burns clean hardwood, that charcoal can be ground up finely and used. But you must be sure nothing toxic has been burned. It's an option if you cannot find it elsewhere. I use that.

She is eating tiny amounts, still losing weight, ill look into the flush! Her caruncles are starting to go a bit orange and pale around her eyes :(
Quote:

She is eating tiny amounts, still losing weight, ill look into the flush! Her caruncles are starting to go a bit orange and pale around her eyes :(
cruancles

Tube feeding is recommended when a bird loses 5% of it's body weight. Once a bird has lost 1/3 to 1/2 it's weight it is almost impossible to save them. Orange caruncles makes me think maybe she is anemic and dehydrated. If you're up to it I can teach you how to tube feed.

-Kathy

If she is only eating tiny amounts of food, losing weight, and it's going on day 5 I'm concerned that she is losing nutrition.

Get the flush started as soon as you possibly can then follow up with electrolytes and vitamins to restore what she will lose from the flush.

How does her poop look today?

Tube feeding is recommended when a bird loses 5% of it's body weight. Once a bird has lost 1/3 to 1/2 it's weight it is almost impossible to save them. Orange caruncles makes me think maybe she is anemic and dehydrated. If you're up to it I can teach you how to tube feed.

-Kathy

If you're nervous about this possibility - Don't be. With Kathy's guidance you can do it. Trust me... as I had just been through this myself with a goose.

Back
Top Bottom