Sick pet duck, advice would be of great help!

I called around about activated charcoal, They only stock in tablet or capsule, are they viable options, ground up?

Alright, starting the flush now, her poop is still watery with fragmented black bits in it.

Alright, Updates - She is still not eating very much, i'm doing the flush, activated charcoal and water and she's been drinking it. Ill post some pictures of the poop and of her.

Some extra background, when she was younger, just as she got fully feathered she got sick with something i thought was botulism or mareks disease. It was really scary because she was pretty much paralyzed one morning with a bad leg and didn't move for a couple of days, i thought that was the end but she pulled through and she has had a limp ever since. The bad leg (her left leg) is always significantly warmer than the right foot. So that's just a bit of information, but when i observed her in front of me she seemed to be pecking at her bad leg a lot, so i checked the foot and one of the joints looks a little inflamed. Ill attach some pictures! The second one you can see the caruncles going a bit orange. Just trying to give as much information as possible.

Also, you guys have been amazing and i really appreciate the input!

Looks like the charcoal is moving through her which is good if it's something she ingested the charcoal should push it through. As for pale carnuckles mine are like that now because they aren't laying and actively breeding. I suspect Your Scovy's is from being sick. Is she your only duck? while you have her inside I'd be checking for anything outside that she may have gotten into, just as a precaution plants .standing water that may have bacteria built up in it. I even bought a magnet with a long handle so I could go over the ground my ducks are on I have been amazed at the metal screws nails staples etc that I have found. Things that get washed up.
I had to go and pick up my one Scovy to look at the bottom of his foot it does look like she has some swelling in the middle you can try doing some Epsom salt soaks [ES is also a laxative so don't let her drink the water]. But make up a solution of ES 1/2 cup to close to 1 gal of nice warm water in a dish pan or short bucket then place both legs[easier to do both] hold onto her and let her stand in the bucket at least 5 min longer if she'll let you. You can do this 2X a day if you have time or at least 1X a day ES works to get swelling down and helps with inflammation if she has injured her leg or foot hopefully these soaks will help, Not sure what could have happened to her to cause the limp.Maybe @Amiga @casportpony have some ideas Or @Free Spirit

Last edited:
Looks like she's got a scrape on the foot - Epsom salt soak will help.

I would emphasize getting nutrients into her.

Does she have treats that she likes?

Hav you tried offering crushed dry cat kibble? Water-soaked oatmeal? Mealworms? Peas?

I was just thinking of suggestion the Epsom soak for the foot and Miss Lydia beat me to it (great minds think alike). Follow Miss Lydia's instructions and soak her foot if you can in Epsom Salts, that will help bring down any swelling. Like Miss Lydia said, don't let her drink it.

Once the flush is completed give her some ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in her water and some kale if you have it. Both are good for helping inflammation. Get her on some vitamins and probiotics right away as the flush will have cleaned out her system and good bacteria needs to be restored ASAP.

If you begin giving her the Baby Bird Formula for tube feeding then you can discontinue the ACV and vitamins because the formula will have all she needs for nutrition and probiotics.

You didn't say what she normally eats and what she is eating now (at least I didn't see it re-reading the posts). Could you please let us know in case there needs to be a modification to her diet.

I'm not sure what is causing the leg problems. My first thoughts so far are either she didn't/doesn't get enough niacin or she simply twisted or landed it on it wrong at some point. Another possibility is cut, scrapes, etc but I don't see any evidence of that in the picture.

Looks like she's got a scrape on the foot - Epsom salt soak will help.

I would emphasize getting nutrients into her.

Does she have treats that she likes?

Hav you tried offering crushed dry cat kibble? Water-soaked oatmeal? Mealworms? Peas?
X2 on Amiga's recommended things to try and give her. My duck goes absolutely nuts over peas and meal worms.

This morning she ate the most i have ever seen this past week! Hopefully she will pull though, she is considerably thinner though. Ill keep you updated :D

Back
Top Bottom