Sick Pullet from Rural King

MagicMarcy66

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Orange County, California (Tustin)
Bought a RIR on Saturday and she's on the small side.

Today she's very weak, Wings dropped, not eating well, cold, she is now drinking after I gave her some yogurt, water and pellets from the electrolyte pack i have. I've been holding her all day, she wants to be in the midst of the other 4 pullet chicks. I have given her a bit of mush warmed in my hand. All fluids given were pre warmed holding in my hand. Just not sure what else to do or whats wrong with her. The other pellets are eating drinking and vigorous. The other thing is she won't keep her eyes open. Very very depressed 😞 Thank you for any help or advice you have.

Attachments

• 20200420_112321.jpg
    20200420_112321.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 5
I'm guessing by now your chick has died or recovered. I've been off the site for quite a while and when I logged on tonight a message asked if we would respond to questions that hadn't any replies. Your best bet in a case like this is to look under the Forums headings. You'll find a "Search" option in the drop-down menu and can search for "sick chick" or something in that vein. That search term will give you a gazillion responses but you can narrow it down to find some great advice. There is an "Emergencies" thread where you can post. There are a lot of very experienced and helpful people here, I think your post ended up in some weird space where it wasn't seen.

Sick, young chicks generally need to be checked for pasty butt, kept warm and hydrated. Yes, they always want to stay with the others. If you don't have electrolyte mix for the next sick chicken, you can buy them at the feed store. The packets are flat, little foil things that make 3 batches of electrolyte water. Sorry you didn't get help when you needed it. Also, it's not your fault. Chicks die sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom