SICK PUPPY ~ HELP ~ Please!

Quote:
I told u i thin it was just a flare up of gastriteus my dogs get it sometimes and now that i see he may of got ahold of rotton eggs then that makes it even more likely what it was like i said all you have todo is take food and water from him for 24 hrs from the time it started to let the belly calm down and give pepto that is what my vet says to do and it works everytime if it is that and it sure does sound excatly like that and when i do that with sassy my dog she is 100 % better in 2 days adn like i said i am a dog breeder and mt dogd get the best vet care around and i swear it just sounds like a bout of gastritus please let me know how things turn out ihave wonder ever since i seen and posted to you yesterday

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and if you need to get ahold of me i post my number on a post on the first page or you can pm me

Do you have any access to tamiflu or any other antiviral? If so, use it. Tamiflu will do wonders against parvo if given early enough in the disease. If you have and old prescription laying around, it might save your dog's life.

And if the diarrhea/dehydration starts, do slow enemas at body temperature. The lower colon can absorb water even if the stomach and small intestine are damaged by parvovirus. You can use a feeding syringe or an ear bulb "snot sucker" like the ones you get from the hospital when babies are born.

I hope your dog lives. Parvo usually kills in three days, so if she makes it past that, she has a really good chance of finally recovering.

We did give him some Pepto too and I was just thinking about chicken broth because the vet said this morning not to give him food to let his tummy recover. I thought chicken broth might sustain him since it isn't a solid food. That is what I always give my family when one of them are really sick. I know he hasn't eaten solid food since Saturday and that was the day he got into the rotten eggs too.

He is kind of acting more alert. He will wag his tail a little (that is how he got his name, Wagger, because he constantly is wagging his tail-he has been such a happy little dog so far) and he did get up and walk around for just a minute by the front door but went back to lie down right away. I think he is nervous about being inside too because he knows he isn't allowed inside. He just wants to sit in my lap and sleep, which is fine
smile.png

That is what I am using to give him the liquids....the snot sucker from when my son was an infant. It is working great.

Is Tamiflu a prescription or over the counter med? I don't have any but can get it if it is OTC.

Quote:
NOOOOO chicken brooth and normaly has a oil or greasey film and that alnoe can cause a sever gastritus act on a animal that isnt sick so please dont do that just keep forceing the pedalit as afen as you can and give him as much as you can get him to eat and then if you really want to try to get some food in him try some rice or bread follow bland diet just as you would if you had a stomach virus please keep me informed

you can give him cooked rice nothing added bread jello nothng red though just incase he throws up you willknow if it has blood in it because if you give him ed jello it will look like blood but it will be from jello so nothing red but for right now i would try bread first and then rice becasue the bread might make him thrisy and he may drink the pedalit then dont offer him anything to drink but that and keep some in a bowl beside him at all times he isnt getting up becasue he is so week

I've had a puppy with parvo and if your little one is starting to improve now, that's probably not what he had. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, so keep doing it.
smile.png

And I am very sorry you ended up having to defend yourself and your family. We all have tough choices to make and, as much as I love all animals, I understand and respect a person who puts family first when it comes to divying up limited financial resources.

I have to admit at first i was really bothered that your hubby wouldn't let you take him to the vet.. but seeing as how you do your own vetting it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I would think, though, if it had gone to far he should have let him go. It's a terrible thing for an animal to have to suffer when it could be helped even if it's through a regular vet. I know a lot of us don't take our chickens to the vet, but then again a lot of us do.

I am head of house hold.. and im the wife. But, my husband and i are 50/50 on just about anything. though what i say normally goes lol. but that's cuz im normally right HAHA.
smile.png
anyway, i do hope that you are able to care for this pooch in every way possible. I don't think dogs are replaceable as your husband thinks. Every animal, i believe, has it's own individuality. and i think that they all have a personality that differs from one to the other. My one dog, she's a bully, she's a sweet sweet dog, but dumber than a box of rocks sometimes. and to top it off, she charges at life full on. where as my other dog, a complete wimp. lol

Good luck with your pooch. hope he stays healthy after this. don't worry about having to defend anyone... been there done that.. at the old board:)

Sue

I guess it was the rotted eggs. He is up and running this morning!! YAYY!

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Thanks for all the prayers, concern and advice as well.

big_smile.png

I put him out on the porch last night because he was starting to smell....well...like a dog
roll.png
but I woke up at daylight and ran out to check on him and he was gone. I thought "oh no, he has gone off in the woods to die" but then I saw him chasing the cat! Back to normal I guess. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom