Sick quail

Unfortunately, when you assist a hatch, you have to be prepared for problems. Often (but not always) they need help because there is something wrong.

You can try to give it something like Save-a-chick or NutriDrench with water with a dropper and see if it perks up, but it is likely to not make it. If it is obviously suffering, be prepared to give it a quick end.

I'm sorry to bear bad news. :hugs

Give it a few drops of nutri-drench if you have it (essentially vitamins, electrolytes and sugar; the sugar does the most of the three in the short term).

Sometimes chicks need help because of environmental issues (low humidity mostly), while some can't break out because there is something physically wrong with them. Not much to do but wait and see. Wishing you and your chicks luck!

I had to assist 2 quail hatch, one is not doing very well. It just lays there and doesn’t pick up it’s head. Don’t know what to do. It’s my first time owning quail.

Hi,
I am taking care of a three day old abandoned baby quail. She was practically on the verge of death (or so it seemed) I have been feeding her a mixture of hardboiled egg yolk and water and I put save a chick probiotics in her water. I read that dehydration is a huge killer with chicks and also they need a lot of protein. I am by no means an expert as this is my first chick I have ever taken care of; however, she is thriving and completely eats and drinks on her own starting today and seems quite vivacious!

Unfortunately the suvival rate of the helped hatchers is low.
In my experience it is under 30%.

When I started my first incubation, I was enthusiastic, as all 3, which I helped, survived. But the more numbers you do, statistic gets more and more true. Even with much more experience.

But still I think, they deserve a chance.
All you can do, is already posted.

Good luck for your little babies :fl

Hi,
I am taking care of a three day old abandoned baby quail. She was practically on the verge of death (or so it seemed) I have been feeding her a mixture of hardboiled egg yolk and water and I put save a chick probiotics in her water. I read that dehydration is a huge killer with chicks and also they need a lot of protein. I am by no means an expert as this is my first chick I have ever taken care of; however, she is thriving and completely eats and drinks on her own starting today and seems quite vivacious!
Well sounds like you have a pretty lucky quail chick.

It doesn’t drink or eat on its own yet so I’ve just been giving it some egg yolk and water with sugar, baking soda and salt in it with a syringe

Back
Top Bottom