2 newly hatched quail with splayed leg and maybe curled toes

Missy020219

Songster
Dec 18, 2019
Buick Creek, British Columbia, Canada
I had to assist 2 quail eggs about 2 hours ago. After they were out of the egg I noticed one of them couldn’t get it’s one leg under its self and then when I took them out of the incubator I noticed the other one couldn’t get it’s legs under it’s self either. Never had splayed leg so not 100% sure on how to fix it especially on quail.

I need help and tips on how to deal with this

I would give them poultry vitamins with riboflavin or Poultry cell 1 drop in addition to giving them water. I have no quail experience so I will leave that to others to advise. Here is a good link about treating splay legs with a hobble bringing them closer together for 4-5 days with strips of vet wrap:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/
I gave one of them some warm water with sugar, baking soda and salt, which perked it up a little but we don’t have any other stuff. We don’t have any of the vet wrap. What else would work?

What does everybody think I should do for the quail that hardly does anything? The other ones way more active. This one just lays there and doesn’t lift it’s head.

I have used a bandaid cut lengthwise in half and wrapped it around the legs. Do you have any super b complex vitamins around the house, or any baby vitamins with riboflavin? Cooked egg yolk, chopped almonds, plain yogurt, and salmon are foods that contain riboflavin. (vitamin B 2.) only a small amount is needed, and the egg yolk is probably the best for a chick. Here is another link with making a hobble out of a hair band:
https://healthstartsinthekitchen.com/how-to-fix-splayed-leg-spraddle-leg/

I have used a bandaid cut lengthwise in half and wrapped it around the legs. Do you have any super b complex vitamins around the house, or any baby vitamins with riboflavin? Cooked egg yolk, chopped almonds, plain yogurt, and salmon are foods that contain riboflavin. (vitamin B 2.) only a small amount is needed, and the egg yolk is probably the best for a chick. Here is another link with making a hobble out of a hair band:
https://healthstartsinthekitchen.com/how-to-fix-splayed-leg-spraddle-leg/
I’ll give it some egg yolk. I’m going away for the evning and don’t feel comfortable leaving at home, do you think I could keep it warm enough?

Supplement the diet of your breeding hens (those whose eggs you're incubating). Even high protein game bird feed is designed to raise birds for eggs, not to hatch out those eggs. A deficiency in the parents is passed to their offspring in the egg. I use a product called chick booster (even for adult birds) in their water, countless problems solved for the adult and their offspring. It's cheap and easy to use.
I've not had much luck in fixing the nutritional deficiency in quail chicks, or rather, I've not had luck in fixing the damage that the congenital deficiency caused. Your mileage may vary.
I have observed that a quail chick that has difficulty hatching on their own, without assistance, is much more prone to display the symptoms you describe. I wonder if the same deficiency controls their ability to hatch out unassisted as well. I no longer have this problem (since vitamin/mineral supplementation), but it took about a year for me to figure out the problem.

Supplement the diet of your breeding hens (those whose eggs you're incubating). Even high protein game bird feed is designed to raise birds for eggs, not to hatch out those eggs. A deficiency in the parents is passed to their offspring in the egg. I use a product called chick booster (even for adult birds) in their water, countless problems solved for the adult and their offspring. It's cheap and easy to use.
I've not had much luck in fixing the nutritional deficiency in quail chicks, or rather, I've not had luck in fixing the damage that the congenital deficiency caused. Your mileage may vary.
I have observed that a quail chick that has difficulty hatching on their own, without assistance, is much more prone to display the symptoms you describe. I wonder if the same deficiency controls their ability to hatch out unassisted as well. I no longer have this problem (since vitamin/mineral supplementation), but it took about a year for me to figure out the problem.
I am not hatching from my own quail, but hope to in the future.’what kind of supplement is it exactly?

I wo
I am not sure about keeping it warm unless you have it next to you. Making a chick sling might be something that you would want to do while it has the hobble on. Here are some links with chick slings examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-caring-for-the-special-needs-chick.72163/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
I will probably put it in my shirt to keep it warm. The other chicks legs are doing fine now, but if the sick ones legs are still bad when it heals ( if it does ) then I will try the hobbles and sling.

Back
Top Bottom