sick quail?

well seperating wont be easy as i only have two but I will try.
she is a italian courtnix
well yes but it minimal.
its hard to tell but it is a little watery
we cant really tell if she has been laying because it only happens at night and we never seem to be able to catch them in the act of laying
yes she somehow lost a clump of feathers earlier but that was sometime ago so there is pin feathers. she seemes to be fine on the outside but just overall droopy and sleepy
we only have two quail but there are some plans to get more, so for now none there both hens.
our set up is mostly a metal wire mesh cage with a hole on the top to put them in or out( its open on the bottem so they can scratch around and dig thengs up) and they come inside the house at night to sleep in a crate/ dog carrier.
sorry i cant upload a video because im on a computer and my phone is currently getting fixed

Do they have hiding places?
Can you feel her keel?
Does she seem underweight?

I'm concerned that she's not eating and drinking much. That could cause watery poop.

At this point, the best thing to do is to make sure she's warm, and observe. If she's underweight, you might think about taking her to a vet if that's an option.

yes they do they have a sort of cave that they can scurry into in case of wind or rain.
yes i can not the entire thing but a little too much.
she does seem underweight compared to my other quail but that could be because it eats a little too much.

The problem about the warmth is that for some reason i dont know she is avoiding the sun, i would be nice to be able to take her to the vet but where i live we dont have many that specialize in poultry because we live in a big city that mostly deals with cats and dogs.
but thank you for the advice, ill try to keep her warm and moniter her.

Without pics of her and her droppings it's hard to determine what is the problem. It could be numerous things affecting her.
What feed is she on? What % protien is it? Do you keep the waterer clean?
At this point without pics, I'm suspecting IE, Intestinal enteritis?

she is currently on crushed corn mixture with some seeds mixed in.
we dont know what percentage it is because it came pre mixed
yes we clean her waterer every night
her droppings are mostly white and light brown and watery
Can you buy turkey crumble or chick feed there?

What state are you in?

she is currently on crushed corn mixture with some seeds mixed in.
we dont know what percentage it is because it came pre mixed
yes we clean her waterer every night
her droppings are mostly white and light brown and watery
Oh, that doesn't sound like good food for a quail. If you can get game bird crumble or turkey feed it will be much better for them.

believe it or not ive had poultry for years and ive had quail before but this is my first time dealing with a sick bird. Its also my first time buying quail from a different person than normal. Most of the quail ive got were from a specific person but they went out of business some time ago, so my dad found a pet store that sold quail and got them as a suprise. He also bought the food they came with because it was cheap, i overlooked what the food was because he was my dad and i thought he knew what he was doing
Well, if you're in northern CA, I can recommend a few people to get them from if I'm not close enough.

Thanks!
I just PMed you the address and a picture of the exact feeds that store carries that's good for quail.

Back
Top Bottom