Sick Rooster.. Excess mucus in mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChloeCorrigan, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ChloeCorrigan

ChloeCorrigan New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello!
    I've noticed my rooster breathing weird for about two months. He was alert and seemingly healthy otherwise up until recently. He is a mutt, truly.. Looks like he has auracana in him.

Symptoms ..
    Lacks energy (still has flight response and good reaction, but prefers to be still/sleepy)
    Excess mucus, especially in his mouth
    Trouble swallowing
    Breathes through mouth only, nostrils seemed blocked. No discharge
    Eyes look watery
    Face looks disheveled, possibly swollen slightly. His waddle/crown is still red and decent looking.

He can still make noise and there's nothing that we can see down his throat (no yellow or white patches, no visible gapeworm blockage)

He doesn't really have many symptoms of gapeworm..just the mouth breathing and trouble swallowing. I also researched respiratory illnesses, and the only possibility I saw was Newcastle..as the only symptom is mucus. No rasping, wheezing, coughing, or sneezing.

His crop is hard and his breath does smell. I believe this might be sour crop or some sort of GI issue, but I will wait for further symptoms as he is now isolated with only water. He doesn't seem to want to drink, and he pecks at food but isn't crazy about it like the other chickens. I believe this is because he has trouble swallowing from the excess mucus.

I gave him a massage and a little bit of baking soda and water solution with a syringe to help break up food that may be stuck. I'm going to feed him plain yogurt, eggs, and continue to try to get fluids in him - electrolytes, acv and such included. Olive oil is another option I believe I'll try.

Has anyone else had a digestive problem with their chickens that had similar symptoms?

Does this sound like anything else? Solutions and shared experience would be much appreciated.

I've done about 4 hours of research thus far and would appreciate the help. If this worsens and I can't find a solution I'll have to go to a vet, and I don't care for vets around where I live. The last one I went to looked at me like I was crazy for trying to help a chicken..also charged me out the ***** for simple tests.

No other fowl in our flock are effected.

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    What ever happened with your roo???
    I have one showing the EXACT same signs.

3. canesisters

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    @dawg53 - I know about the whole 'don't treat them, cull them' argument. .... but.... now that I'm in this, what would you suggest?
    My guy has been on tylan ingections for 3 days. Prior to that, sulmet in his water.

4. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Please help yesterday a moll nearly ate my rooster but it couldnt 2 days later I saw he lost on of his wattles will he be fine.

5. canesisters

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. What is a moll? It attacked your rooster yesterday? What happened 2 days ago? If his only injury is to his wattles - and if he's not bleeding anymore - and if he's not being pestered by the rest of the flock - I would think that he should recover fine.
    Good luck with him.

6. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Thanks lets,see and, wait

7. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Why don't you try some VetRX on him? Read the instructions on it. You can rub some around his nostrils (warm it up) and I believe you can also put a drop or two down the throat. There are detailed instructions in the box. It usually helps with respiratory problems.

One other thing you could try is organic ACV in the water. A tablespoon per gallon of water. I've read it helps cut through the mucous. Change water daily. Try that along with VetRx for several days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by