Sick Rooster.. no response... PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HIM!

you can run tube down his throat see if something stuck in there. Look down his mouth with flashlight see if you see something. Give him some tylan in case of cold in gland or infection. Give him hot pack on neck see if that helps. Take moist town and put in glad baggy warm and put up next to neck. All things I would do. I would even run tube from his mouth to crop and fill him up with food if he is weak I like to give them ensure plus. If nothing stuck in throat give him penicillin shot and check for mites. I might give him 0.06 ivenmectim under skin on back for worms (dose depends on size, that what i give full grown chicken). If no ivemectim then I would at least powder him for mites. Hopefully all that helps. Is hard to give advice when cannot see him.

scratch'n'peck :

I think if he had something caught in his throat he would be actually stretching his neck forward and opening his mouth repeatedly. That is what the poor hen who was suspected of having gape worm was doing. Unfortunately she did turn out to have a tumor.

To keep him hydrated if he is having problems drinking you can
drip water with a syringe or dropper down the side of his beak

while it is raised up. You could add one of those vitamin packets that they sell at the feed store to the water too.​

This is a good idea. Becareful not to aspirate him while trying to keep him hydrated.​

He hasn't coughed, has no respiratory noises and a small lump can be felt under his wattles - I have opened his mouth but nothing shows - he has managed a little food and he took some honey earlier - sorry to relate but he is very tired and doesn't seem to have the energy to get up on the roost ( it is a ladder ) he is puffed up and I don't want to disturb him further - I don't want him up there now as he would be likely to fall off - his walking was somewhat erratic today - I don't expect him to survive the night.....

Thanks for all of your suggestions - a tumour seems the likely cause

I feel that only a miracle will now help him

If I asked here in France for an Avian Vet they would probably suggest a retired airline pilot!

Thanks again all!

Suzie

Wayne&kim

Thanks for the messages - I wouldn't know how to use a needle to poke at the lump - the blockage is very near his windpipe and I would be afraid of doing him more damage - you did mention earlier about using a tube - can you tell me how to do this without the risk of the tube going into his lungs?

I will do anything to help him but I don't want to cause any further damage...

Suzie

Can you massage the lump and neck. If it's an object it should move? Maybe massage up toward the mouth. Is it soft/hard?

I have massaged and whatever it is - it feels solid and does not move much - he does seem to get some relief when I do massage his neck but he then starts to twist his head and neck around - he has digested some of the food I have given him as his poop has some substance to it now - he has had chick crumbs, scrambled egg, some meat in paste form and tonight he was eating some of his normal chicken food with crushed corn ( maize ) - he is hungry but he gives up eating after a few moments due to the "blockage" - even the honey I put on his tongue was difficult for him to get down his throat.

I just checked on him - he has been on the floor of the coop all evening - it is after 11.00pm here now and he is still standing in the same position as he was a few hours ago - fluffed up.... I don't want to move him if it is not to be of any benefit to him, I could bring him indoors but he would probably be stressed in unfamiliar surroundings - he is with his girls where he is needed - they seem to know there is something terribly wrong - they have surrounded him all day today and he has not been without at least a few of his girls by his side constantly - he has always looked after their needs and now maybe it is his turn to have their support - gotta go .... can't see for my tears! I feel so helpless

Thanks

Suzie

The test for gapeworm is to take regular human Q-tips.. one... have someone hold the chicken / rooster.. lift his head up a bit, as to extend his neck a bit.. gently.. open his beak.. you can pull down on the wattles and up on his comb to get his mouth open or use your finger to open it... you will need help with this or at least a person to hold him... hold on to the Q-tip... careful not to drop it.. reach as far as you can down his throat.. to the back..... side and back to avoid the windpipe... swab his throat....
I was only able to reach a couple inches with my fingers and the Q-tip.... swab... (the chicken didn't mind this holding, beak opening, and swabbing.. she was fairly cooperative)... look at the end of the Q-tip... if he has gapeworm you will see them on the Q-tip.
If you see no worms on the Q-tip.. he does not have gapeworm.
It's rare and it's hard to treat if he does have it. He will likely die before you could get rid of gapeworm. I am sorry.
It is doubtful he has gapeworm, but it is good to check and see to be sure.
I am not sure... but, if he has gapeworm, I would want to know, as all in the flock might have it as well. Valbazen treats all worm, including gapeworm, but takes extra treatments for tape or gape worms.
Use the search here on BYC for more info if you DO find gapeworm.
I am sorry... good luck.

Ma'am no matter the outcome , I compliment you for trying with all your might . I am sorry this happened . You have a big heart !
hugs.gif
We hate to see any of our animals suffer .

Back
Top Bottom