Sick Rooster. Please Help!

BoroDave

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 3, 2009
Adirondacks, New York
Hello All,
Yesterday my wife noticed our only rooster laying down in the coop and being unresponsive.
We separated him from the flock and put him in a dog kennel inside the house.
I combed through his feathers to check for mites and I did see one. Just one. We've had a problem in the past with mites and have lost 3 birds.
I don't want to lose another.

I gave him his favorite treats and gave him .05cc of Ivomec.
What else can I do?
A dusting? What kind (maybe something not so toxic)?

He is just standing in his kennel and acting like he is drunk and/or hungover.
He is not weezing, or bleeding and both eyes do open when I touch him.
Tail feathers are down and he's lost weight but not too much (it's been a while since I've picked him up though).
It has been extremely wet in the north east, as I'm sure you all know, and none of the other birds (6) appear sick.
His name is Al and he's 4 years old.

Please help!
Thank you all,
Dave

Hi,
A couple of things to add:

1. His stool is very runny with no blood
2. He does not eat or drink.
3. Most of the time he is standing.
4. His comb and wattle appear to be normal in color. Maybe a bit on the dark side.

I know this question is a dime a dozen but please help me diagnose.

Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
You need to put something topical on his legs to get rid of the scalely leg mites. I highly recommend Nu-Stock, it is all natural and will clear his legs up quickly. It comes in a good size plastic tube. My feedstore sells it for about $14. I recommend that you worm him. You can use valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard equine paste or safeguard liquid goat wormer. I use valbazen, it kills all types of worms that chickens can get.

It sounds like it might be worms to me as well. There are a number of wormers that you can get for him at your farm/feed store. I wormed my bunch last with a piperazine wormer called "Pig Swig," but many people use Wazine. Both are usually fine. It's best to do the whole flock, but keep your boy isolated for observation. I recommend some warmth, too like a brooder lamp or putting him near a furnace or other heat source. This way, his little body won't have to spend calories trying to keep warm while he tries to recover to where he can eat something. Just make sure you don't roast him. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Piperazine and wazine are the same. Both only get rid of large roundworms. Chickens carry many types of worms. You should follow up in 10 days using valbazen...it gets them all.

Back
Top Bottom