sick rooster

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
What’s going on with Mr. Fancy Pants? Pale comb yesterday, did not want to come out of the coop this morning.

Had messy dried poop around his butt but not plugging it. Cleaned & trimmed those feathers, have him inside in crate with electrolyte water & a scrambled egg.

Low energy. I’m worried.

We had 2 hens with dry fowl pox early summer, could this be that?

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 28
I don't see any obvious signs of pox in that picture. He has one spot above the eye, could be a peck injury. Did he eat the eggs? Is he drinking? Get a look at his next droppings. Is he the only rooster you have? How old is he? Check him over everywhere for any injuries that might be hiding in feathers. Check for lice/mites, and for any signs of molt starting. Does he have any other symptoms, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, discharge from eyes, nares, beak? How does his crop feel, empty, full, hard, soft, squishy, etc? Is his keel well muscled or is the keel bone very prominent?

I don't see any obvious signs of pox in that picture. He has one spot above the eye, could be a peck injury. Did he eat the eggs? Is he drinking? Get a look at his next droppings. Is he the only rooster you have? How old is he? Check him over everywhere for any injuries that might be hiding in feathers. Check for lice/mites, and for any signs of molt starting. Does he have any other symptoms, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, discharge from eyes, nares, beak? How does his crop feel, empty, full, hard, soft, squishy, etc? Is his keel well muscled or is the keel bone very prominent?
Thank you for these smart questions- unfortunately he passed away by the time I was back home this afternoon with no additional obvious info like injury, no other symptoms.

I am so sad, he was a sleep inside at night kind of pet to us.

So grateful for the resources on this site.

Back
Top Bottom