Sick Rooster

Here is just one of you lavender hens, she looks quit rough as she has had a very active rooster ruining her beautiful feathers.
We desperately want to get the other rooster into the fray.

The pure lavender rooster is 2 years old.
Please do not get him confused with the lavender cuckoo rooster. I posted him just for fun. He took over the flock, but the two roosters have been separated. They never fought. The lavender cuckoo simply started breeding the hens leaving the other rooster out. The pure Lavender forages well, eats well, he just acts and looks more like a hen the rooster in comparison to what he once did.

Your cuckoo rooster is very handsome. Could your lavender rooster be having his molt? This could explain his comb shrinkage and acting backward, since molt is very hard on them. The first molt take place about 18 months, then yearly thereafter. Whether he is molting or not, after worming him, I would suggest that you put Avian Super Pack vitamins and Probios Dispersible Powder in his water 3 days a week, along with a 20% flock raiser feed to build him up.

Thank you for the compliments on the cuckoo Lav Orp.
The lavs. Orps have a bit to work on in terms of confirmation. Although the Lavs are recognized in the UK they are not yet accepted in the USA. We raise exhibition birds (Delawares, white leghorns) to being attention to folks about backyard flocks and self reliance. If any exhibition Oprpington folks were to judge the cuckoo, what
What would you say? Throw me the heat!
I apologize as I am talking about 2 different unrelated things. Main concern is my pure Lav rooster.

I am going to isolate him. Worm him with goat safe guard. Provide him
With vitamins and feed him game bird feeder.
How long should I do this? And who concurs
With this treatment and who disagrees. If you disagree what would you do different ?

Last edited:
He may get lonely being isolated. Is there a way to keep him safe and treat him within the flock? Chickens are quite social birds. You could cage him in the coop for part of the day, then let him out for part before he goes to roost. Reintroduction is a bear as you probably know.

Back
Top Bottom