Sick Silkie, can't walk, was acting drunk, now seems to have energy but can't use legs

burnyourmoney

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Bright, ON
I have a silkie cockerel. I was told he is 16 weeks but he's probably closer to 20 based on his size compared to the others from the same batch.
Yesterday was a cold (10c) windy and rainy day. It was the first time my birds have ever seen rain. They are all free range, as in no fences and I supplement their food with fermented scratch.
Yesterday when I let them out of their coop I noticed that he was walking as if drunk. It was quite windy so I wasn't entirely sure if he was just the wind pushing him around. When I went out around lunch to check on them I noticed that he was sitting by himself under a tree so I put some food near him but he didn't move. I threw some right by him and without moving he pecked at it and ate. I assumed it had something to do with the weather and him not wanting to come out even though his 6 "siblings" were all out in the rain getting soaked. When I went down to lock up the coop, he had moved about 5 feet towards his coop but was laying on his side and could hardly move. My mom picked him up and he didn't put up much fuss. I took some feed in my hands and he ate it rather violently.
We put him in the house in a box. He was laying on his side so I propped him up against the side of a box and a towel. I did some reading on the internet and mixed up a concoction of cooked egg yoke, raw milk yogurt, oatmeal and bee pollen and hemp hearts. He ate a pile of it last night but this morning he hasn't really taken much interest in it.
When I brought him in the house at first by looking at him I was pretty sure he wouldn't make it through the night. After he ate he seemed to gain some strength and this morning he seems close to normal however he isn't making any noises and he can't stand up or walk. He moves his wings very slightly. He moves his head as if he is completely normal and seems very alert.

I took a picture of his poop and also of just what he looks like in general. If anyone knows what's up I'd love to know

Chicken
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/burnyourmoney/P1140360.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/burnyourmoney/P1140357.jpg

Poop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/burnyourmoney/P1140359.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/burnyourmoney/P1140358.jpg

Thanks

Forgot to mention that there were some bubbles of clear fluid around his nostrils. The other 16 chickens all look fine.

Could uncooked soy beans do this? They were unloading the silos yesterday and he may have eaten some soy beans as there is a lot left on the ground

Last edited:
Best of luck. I am unsure of the soy beans.
My pullet has a similar issue, but nothing out in the garden like that so at least in my case it does not appear to be something she ate.
I was concerned for a vitamin deficiency so I have added vitamin B and a supplement/electrolyte to her water.
I have also added a poultry antibiotic just in case.
Also prednisone in case it is an injury/inflammation causing neurologic issues.
This is probably over the top. She just was so pitiful.

she is doing better (as you saw in the post).

I will put her on grass tomorrow as you mentioned. Sounds good.

Her appetite is very good.

Let me know how your Silkie progresses. He is handsome.

Please research Marek's. Silkies are very susceptible and your bird is showing symptoms of the disease.

Not sure if you know silkies need to have good shelter in bad weather they don't repel water like other chickens. And they dont always go in on their own when they should. I hope he gets better.

Not sure if you know silkies need to have good shelter in bad weather they don't repel water like other chickens. And they dont always go in on their own when they should. I hope he gets better.

Interesting, when I was researching Silkies before buying them I everything I read was you just treat them as a normal chicken. I did notice that they weren't shedding water like the Chanclers. Thanks for the heads up.

[/quote]
Please research Marek's.  Silkies are very susceptible and your bird is showing symptoms of the disease.

So it looks like there is no cure for Marek's, Is culling the only solution? Due to the nature of chickens odds are my whole flock is infected so there is no point in worrying about him getting the rest of them sick right? He certainly is exhibiting some of the symptoms of Marek's.

Last edited:
If your not already I would add the vit B to his diet. I hope he improves today. He sure is a handsome fellow.

There is no cure for Marek's and culling is the only option. It's a heartbreaking disease
hit.gif

If you do cull him, call your local extension office and find a lab that will do a necropsy. Most states have labs that will do them for little or no cost. That way, you will know for sure what happened and whether you will have to worry about your other chickens. It is highly contagious...to date, in less then a year, I have lost 30+ birds to Marek's and I have three right now that are showing some symptoms that I don't like :(

Silkies lack the ability to shed water so they will get waterlogged and need to be able to get into safe shelter. However, every time it rains I am running out to the coop, where all the other chickens are safe and dry, and scooping up my stubborn, rain soaked silkies and shoving them screaming and squacking into the coop and closing the door. They just love to play in the rain
big_smile.png

I am so sorry to hear your boy isn't doing well---he is sooo handsome! I truly hope it isn't Mareks, but the other posts were correct, Silkies are much more susceptible to Marek's & there is no cure. You just have to wait it out, and get a necropsy to know for sure. :(
There is lots of info online about Mareks, and how to spot the symptoms. I hope it is not the case, and your cockerel just has a vitamin deficiency & is listless for that reason. It is a good sign that he was eating, and seems alert. I hope he is eating today! Have you tried using Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with his food? I like to use Bragg's brand, it is full of nutrients & vitamins--- perks my birds right up. One of my friends told me about it, and it has been a miracle for me! I know it seems silly, but it really has!
I hope things improve today :)

He seems to have taken a turn for the worst. He barely eats anymore and my mom was putting a single piece of oatmeal in his beak, he would eventually eat it then she would feed another single piece. He managed to eat 4 pieces of oatmeal. We're leaning towards culling him, it's not right to make him suffer.

I ferment all my chicken food using Braggs ACV so they should all be getting a good dosage of it regularly.

Back
Top Bottom