Sick silkie

Corticeiro

Chirping
Apr 30, 2021
Portugal
Please help!

One of our silkies is sick... Can you please help diagnose it? She's sneezing and foaming around the eyes... She's already isolated from the rest of the flock. What can we do? We live in a tourism area and vets are only experienced with dogs and cats...

I tried to upload a video but apparently is not allowed. She also moves head/neck up and down to help with the breathing (we guess).

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• IMG20210617172340.jpg
    IMG20210617172340.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 3
Please help!

One of our silkies is sick... Can you please help diagnose it? She's sneezing and foaming around the eyes... She's already isolated from the rest of the flock. What can we do? We live in a tourism area and vets are only experienced with dogs and cats...

I tried to upload a video but apparently is not allowed. She also moves head/neck up and down to help with the breathing (we guess).

Thanks in advance!!!
Looks like Mycoplasma Galliseptum. A bacterial disease. There's no cure, only management.

Videos can be posted if you upload it too YouTube, & link it back here.

Thanks for the tip... Here's the video:

Will have to read about that! Anything we can do at the moment?
If I remember right, there's an Antibiotic called Tylosin (Hopefully I spelled it correctly)that can be used to treat it. But it's not a cure. The bird will be a carrier for life.

This is most likely caused by a respiratory infection such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or also known as Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD). This disease is caused by Mycobacterium bacteria and is easily treated in chickens. Sadly though, she’ll carry the infection for life, spreading it through her feces, respiratory secretions and other bodily fluids to any new birds that haven’t been exposed. Though this disease can’t be cured, you can easily treat it by using antibiotics. There are a lot of different treatments that you can use on chickens with respiratory infections such as antibiotics or other natural remedies. I hope she gets well soon!

Here's more information about MG:

Back
Top Bottom