Sick silkies/flock

mammat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
columbus ohio
Need help with disease ID.

) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)-We have silkies 10 weeks and some 5 months and some older birds born in August(mixed flock). Older girls are all very meaty-new babies are kind of thin but not more than usual for a silkie this age.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.Small silkies -2 with one eye matted shut, no discharge not very swollen no foul odor.All the birds eat and drink great, gaining weight etc... Some of the birds have been sneezing/coughing but not much and they have slight watery nasal drainage when they sneeze. Last week our LF cochin seemed to be having a resp issue but it has resolved.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1 week

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? only birds with eye problem are 2 of the 6 small silkies

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma-no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. -We got the new silkies from Jen 5680 about 3-4 weeks ago

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. -They are all on 20% protein flock raiser crumbles. non medicated because they were all vaccinated for cocci

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.-Poop varies but looks normal for chicken poop

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?-cleansed eyes with warm wash and applied thin layer of vasoline to external lids of the two with the issue.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?-I cannot afford a vet. There are two vets within 100 miles and last time I had a sick hen I spent 300.00 and she died anyway. CANT TAKE TO VET

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help-none no wounds

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- PINE shavings

I think the whole flock acts a little lethargic compaired to our previous birds. This flock stays in the coop most of the time now that it is cold BUT we have a new larger coop and they can lounge around in the coop instead of standing outside in the snow.

Any help would be appreciated. Is is possible that the silkies just have a matted eye and not some horrible disease like CORYZA? If you think I should od antibiotics -which one?
Thanks,
mammat

Last edited:
sounds like the new hens brought in a resp infection and really needs treating with abs

I think I would just check them for lice in case. If so, just put some oil near the skin to help smother the lice. I like neem oil (just a couple drops), but sometimes olive oil even works. Having bugs can lower their immune system. It doesn't sound that serious to me, but just check to be sure they're still eating (full crop every day). If they either stop eating and/or have trouble breathing (gasping for air), let us know! I haven't heard of much success with medications since often we don't know what the problem is without full necropsy (or whatever it's called). I would just do my best to be sure they're warm enough (maybe add heat lamp to coop but be careful to zip-tie it to something so it doesn't fall and cause a fire!) Also clean the waterer frequently and refresh bedding in the coop a lot.
hugs.gif
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom