Sick Turkey on the mend but his hen is attacking him!

Wensbirds

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Hey all! I have a 6 month old BBB pair of turkeys, the tom (loving named dumb) got sick 3 days ago very lethargic, refused to eat or drink. the hen (loving named dumber) kept picking fights brutally and he'd hold his own, although I feared for both as it was ugly! So I figured it was because he was sick and quarantined him where I've been nursing him back. this morning he actually looks amazingly better and managed to escape and lo and behold hes hanging out around her coop on the outside though. I thought it was so sweet and didn't even think about it so i let them all out (usually they free range all day) and the first thing the little brat does is start trying to fight him again, so my question is do I let them brawl it out or keep them separated until he's got all his strength back? Also how long would you normally keep them separated from other chickens, ducks, turkeys etc.?

Last edited:
Wow, just went to check on the turkeys and she's making the softest "coo's" to him and as usual Dumb is standing right outside her fence. I feel so mean to keep them separate but I don't want them hurting each other either! I forgot to mention that these two have been hand raised together since day one, sorry.
hide.gif
Dumb has always followed her all over the yard and struts & struts she's never seemed to notice how handsome he is.

He defends himself , he puffs all feathers out and it's the ugliest fight! I'm worried that hes not strong enough or that it'll take too much out of him as he's still fairly shaky and shes absolutely vicious!

Back
Top Bottom