Sick turkey / paralyzed

melofarms

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2015
Hello I rescued what looked to be an injured turkey from a feed store. I immediately took her to the vet that day and the vet said it was highly unlikely she'd survive. Has internal damage, heart murmur, bruising, etc., I took her to another vet for a second opinion and he said the same thing, although instead of thinking it was due to a predator attack he thinks it is a case of chronic injury due to Marek's. She got an antibiotic injection and on an anti inflammatory and the second Doctor put her on an antibiotic to help treat Marek's I believe. She started doing better the next day, I made a sling for her to keep the weight off her legs and I noticed the next day she moved her legs and wings. Yesterday however she started sleeping all day and continues to only do that, occasionally drinking water but won't eat on her own (I feed her). I'm taking her to vet again to get an IV today. Any suggestions? She gets warm baths to keep her clean, I keep her comfortable, bring her with me to work so I can feed her/give water. Any other advice? Someone recommended pedialyte..

Find an electrolyte mix. Tractor supply carries one just for poultry. That will help her. Give her this as her water and try not to feed her to much forcefully. She can aspirate very easily that way. Vets don't really do much for poults bc what can cure them can also kill them. Poults are very hard to raise. Try not to submerge her in her 'bath' it should only be done when and if she gets feces on herself. It can also lower her body temp when you take her out. Sometimes 'helping' them by giving baths can be fatal. Be careful. Try electrolytes, keep her temp stable, and take her to the vet. You're doing good. And good luck

Just FYI, an antibiotic will not treat Marek's as it is a viral disease (herpesvirus) not a bacterial one. Vet might be covering the bases for potential other diagnoses instead.

Hi thanks for the responses I took her to a 3rd vet and we concluded that she had a cardiovascular issue. She ended up passing that evening :( but she went peacefully. I tried uploading pics but something wrong with the app . Thank you.

I'm sorry she did't make it :( but wow are you amazing to care so much! I hope lots more turkeys animals humans fall under your great care.

Hi thanks for the responses I took her to a 3rd vet and we concluded that she had a cardiovascular issue. She ended up passing that evening :( but she went peacefully. I tried uploading pics but something wrong with the app . Thank you.

I'm so sorry!! At least you tried... Turkeys are just hard to raise. Period. I have lost a few and still have no idea why. I don't even really get attached to them anymore at least until they make it past a month.
It really is awesome that you tried to save that baby. And I know how hard it is to lose something that you take care of and bond with. Once again, I'm sorry and wish she would have made it!!
Thanks for being awesome

Thank you Bantam Turkey for the kind words. I'm now having issues with another turkey and it's breaking my heart. Turkeys have a bad rap for being mean but in my experience they are such sweet beings. I'm keeping her on a low protein layer feed although doesn't even get excited to eat. Didn't care about lettuce last night. She walks very slow and doesn't have much energy. Vet is closed today so all I'm thinking is maybe to take her off feed today and give some rescue fluids just so she gets some calories?

I got two turkeys this spring and I have found them incredibly sweet. They follow me around while I'm harvesting the garden, cooing and trilling, and get all excited when a toss a cherry tomato their way every once in a while.

I'm sorry that you have another sick one on your hands. I did start off with three poults originally, but had an unexplained death.

Back
Top Bottom