Sick turkey

melofarms

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2015
One of my (i think) heritage turkeys seems sick. I got her from a feed store because I felt bad for her. I'm raising her as a pet, not for slaughter, so I'm keeping her on a low protein chicken layer feed. She is coughing and seems to grumble, sounds like respiratory problem. Also, she walks very slow and has very little energy. Lies down frequently. The vet is closed today. Any thoughts? Sorry I'm not able to upload pics for some reason. She seems young, maybe under 6 months? Just started getting a snood. White.

Even a pet turkey needs the higher protein. Does she free range? Has her head changed color? Could the heat be getting to her?

In any case, she shouldn't eating layer feed.

My Holland white is 3 months old. I'll post a pic in a bit too help with age.

She still needs high protein! I feed mine Game Bird Feed, 30% Protein. All they want of it too. Im not growing mine out to butcher, only there future offspring. Good luck :) Go to Tractor Supply and Purchase Rooster Booster Electrolytes, comes in a small container. Put some in there water and make sure she drinks it.

She still needs high protein! I feed mine Game Bird Feed, 30% Protein. All they want of it too. Im not growing mine out to butcher, only there future offspring. Good luck :) Go to Tractor Supply and Purchase Rooster Booster Electrolytes, comes in a small container. Put some in there water and make sure she drinks it. 

I second the electrolytes. I always have that on hand

Getting her back where she needs to be nutritionally should help her immune system tremendously.

I just recently switched both turkeys to layer feed, and my other turkey has been just fine so I doubt it has had too much effect yet. I will switch them back to starter. I purchased electrolytes and will administer thanks again for all your help

Add apple cider vinegar to their water, and garlic, cayenne, and herbs to their feed, especially oregano (Oil of oregano is you have it), and thyme. Keep them drinking and eating.

Same with what everyone else said, protein is vital to their health. Let them free range, supplement with mealworms. 3 months is way too young for layer feed (too high in calcium), but they don't need starter feed anymore. Find a grower feed.

Here is my Holland white. She's three months old (I hatched her myself). She might help you narrow down your's age. The blue is also three months and the red is a week or so younger.

Okay yeah I'd say my turkeys are approx 3 months thanks for the pics! And I did buy 30% protein game bird feed, mealworms...

They also do free range but my one turkey can hardly move. I had the same issue with a turkey I rescued. She was paralyzed due to a weak heart (took her to 3 different avian vets). She ended up dying. The vets said there was nothing I could do. I just made her comfortable and gave her fluids since she wouldn't eat. I'm afraid my current turkey is suffering from the same condition. But I have her in the house at night so I can make sure she's getting water and feed. She's eating at least. I put the rooster booster in her water should I just give her a mix by syringe at this point?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom